Cupcake Pin Cushions

When I decided to take up sewing, I thought first of my Grandma, the handiest, thriftiest woman I know.   She said I should get a basic Singer sewing machine, so off to the store I went and came home with my first machine.  I’ve still never made anything other than pillows and curtains, but my Grandma encourages me.  Look at the adorable cupcake pin cushion she sent me- so sweet!  Using it reminds me of her and I love that feeling.

She also sent me this handy pin cushion/scrap pail.  The pin cushion is filled with sand so it keeps the pail from falling off the sewing table.  I adore the fabric- precious little flowers on a lively green background.

My Grandma and I don’t live close, so these tangible gifts help me feel near to her.  And she reads my blog daily- looking mainly looking for pictures of James:)

If you’d like to try making your own pin cushion, for yourself or a friend, you can check out the tomato pin cushion tutorial via Martha Stewart.

1. June 27, 2012 / 12:14 pm

My grandmother is also my sewing inspiration! I've made dresses, skirts, pillows, and curtains with her encouragement. She always said its a skill that no one can take away from you! Happy Sewing!

2. June 27, 2012 / 12:30 pm

That cupcake pin cushion is adorable! I don't sew {wish I did} but it's so cute that I might just have to have one for my stick pins, etc 🙂

3. June 27, 2012 / 1:11 pm

Oh, that is just too sweet looking! This made me miss my grandmothers–they were both excellent seamstresses. I just wish I'd learned more from them!

4. June 27, 2012 / 1:33 pm

So sweet! Or should I say, "sew" sweet. My Granny taught me how to sew as well and was always creating something unique just like yours. I was just telling hubby I think it is becoming a lost art now that most schools do not off Home Ec classes anymore. It really is a shame.

5. June 27, 2012 / 2:28 pm

Oh, that is so sweet. How wonderful to have such a supportive and encouraging grandma. I agree with Simply LKJ. . . total lost art. Let's bring it back, girls!

6. June 27, 2012 / 4:42 pm

Love this post! Such a special bond between a grandmother and her grand children(believe me I know first hand)! So glad to see people of your generation sewing, it is becoming a "dying art"!

7. June 27, 2012 / 5:09 pm

GREAT POST:) Your blog is so wonderful and I will happily follow.

If you want some Swedish décor inspiration, you can check out my blog:)
    Have a great weekend.

LOVE Maria at inredningsvis.se
    (Sweden)

8. June 27, 2012 / 8:47 pm

That cupcake pink cushion is so sweet and cheerful! Aren't Grandmas amazing women! I miss mine. She sewed like crazy, did home canning of fruits and preserves, needlepoint, embroidery, etc. I agree with Simply LKJ and Courtney….it is becoming a lost art. You have a wonderful Grandma Megan!

9. July 3, 2012 / 2:26 pm