I hope your week is off to a great start! I had a super productive Monday, kicked off with a killer workout, which always feels amazing. But then, at 8:30 last night I realized we hadn’t gotten Valentine’s cards for the class exchange which is happening this morning, so off to Walgreens! As much as I like to be on top of things, there are still days when I run around feeling like a chicken that lost its head! It’s especially at those times that we have to give ourselves GRACE! Am I right? I’m really loving the positive feedback on yesterday’s Daily Affirmations post. Affirmations are new to me, but with practice, I do feel like they are helping reprogram my mind in a very beneficial way.
I mentioned recently that I was ready to give our master bedroom a little refresh and I’m excited that the project is underway! I reached out to my friend Aryn of Oyster Creek Studios to get her expertise in helping me pull the design together since I was feeling stuck. You know when you’ve been living with the same space for years and you get used seeing it how it is, but you know you want to change and sometimes you need fresh eyes to help give you some new ideas. I’m super thankful to have such a talented friend whose design aesthetic I really admire. I hired Aryn to help come up with a new plan for the room and I love the direction we’re headed!
But first, here’s a peek at how my bedroom has looked since the last update two years ago.
The two things that have changed are the rug and mattress. We have a Serta iComfort TempTouch memory foam bed and we looove it! But the mattress and box spring are super tall, drawfing our current bed.
OMG- baby legs!!
The rug is a really pretty with a thick braided design and it’s nice and soft. The website description says “white”, but it’s more creamy/ivory. I’ve had mine for about 8 months and haven’t had any problems with shedding or unraveling.
BEDROOM PRE-DESIGN MEETING
I wanted to share the process with you of working with a designer and take you step by step through our plans and how the ultimate design comes together.
First, Aryn came over so she could see the room in person and we could talk through what was working for me and what wasn’t. I told her I liked the neutral, calming feel, but wanted to make some tweaks. I wanted her expert advice since I know she can pull things together way better than I can!
Here are the design challenges I presented to her:
1. Ever since we got our new mattress and tall box spring, our bed has been too short for the room. We have 9 or 10 foot ceilings and the room could really take a taller bed.
2. Although I love these pretty mirrored nightstands, they are also too small for the space, so I want something larger.
3. Similarly, the mirrors above the nightstands could be taller.
4. I’ve been wanting to wallpaper the back wall for a while now and I’m having the hardest time narrowing down all of the choices.
5. I’ve always wanted an African juju hat over the bed, so hopefully we can incorporate that here. I just love the texture and femininity of that piece.
6. I also wanted to style the sitting room a little bit better, mostly the bookshelves, which definitely need a refresh.
MASTER BEDROOM DESIGN IDEAS
Let's be friends!
Subscribe and enjoy exclusive content delivered directly to your inbox!