Back to School for Grown Ups

Thank you from the very bottom of my heart for all of your check-ins and well-wishes as we weather Hurricane Harvey in Houston.  Your outpouring of support touches me to the core.  I’ve been corresponding with you on Stories and I appreciate you so much!

We got a ton of loud rain on Friday night that woke us up, but no other problems as far as flooding or power outages.  On Saturday, it was grey skies and rain all day into Sunday.  While our street has been draining pretty well and we never lost power, there’s a ton of flooding in our area and the surrounding areas. We’ve been sequestered inside all weekend watching the news and it’s been heartbreaking to see so many families being evacuated and rescued from their homes.  Many people have flooding in their homes and are trapped in their neighborhoods because there’s so much water everywhere.  It’s been devastating.  The worst is that it’s still raining!  We are so thankful that we’re doing okay so far.

We are keeping everyone in our prayers and giving through trusted organizations like The Red Cross and the Houston Food Bank.  Thank you again.  I will keep you posted here and on Stories.

It’s actually a good distraction to have you guys to talk to about all of this and then to be able to switch gears and lighten it up with fun things like fashion and beauty!  Knowing it’s back-to-school for most of the kiddos about now, I put together this “back to school for grown-ups” collage.  Because, don’t we all still get a little bit giddy about the start of a new school year?!

back to school for grown ups

Rolling into September means one thing – cozy cardigans!  I’m stalking this one for it to come back in my size.  I especially love the contrast of a soft and slouchy cardigan with a silky camisole.
Pretty pencils might seem like a frivilous purchase, but mine never cease to put a smile on my face.  I keep mine in this little gold pineapple pencil holder on my desk!
Also handy at all times is a pretty notepad to jot to-dos, ideas as they occur, or those random things that pop into my mind while I’m working, but I don’t want to stop what I’m doing to actually do them. So, I keep a running list right next to me while I’m working on blog posts and when something comes to mind, instead of getting off track, I jot it down and keep working.  Then, I can visit my list later and figure out what to do when.
How pretty is this neutral pink and peach for fall?!  I swear by MAC lipsticks because the pigment is great and they don’t smell or taste like anything weird!  I’m so picky about that! I love their lipglass too- it keeps your lips super shiny and gives your lipstick a pop.
I’m smitten in a big way with these wide leg jeans!  The are a slim fit at the waist and hips, then go into big wide leg at the bottom with contrasting color.  The look espeically good with heels and wedges, but you can also just add a tee and flat sandals for a chic, no fuss, vibe.
Our fancy coffee maker is one of the things I get asked about most in my Stories.  Most of y’all know we got ours several years ago and our Christmas gift to each other.  You can make all kinds of coffee drinks with it, but I use it for my regular cup of coffee each day.  We buy medium roast whole beans and it grinds them fresh each time.  It makes a delicious cup of coffee and I’m so spoiled by this now.  Ours is old, so this is the new version.
I’ve been on the hunt for a new pair of sunnies for awhile now, and I just ordered these!  I think they’re a great, modern shape and will go with your fall/winter wardrobe perfectly!  I like the neutral color.

Tory Burch Tote

This stylish tote has been on my wish list for years!  It’s the perfect bookstore size, which will keep all your necessities including a notebook, journal or book/iPad.  It’s a sturdy quality too.  Trust me- I’ve fawned all over it at the store, just never pulled the trigger!

I’m so surprised that I liked these gold, pointy toe slides as much as I do.  I tried them on in New Orleans and loved them.  I think they’ll be my alternative to a gold heel when I need a flat.  The metallic makes them look dressy and the pointy toe elongates the leg, but the flat heel makes them kid-friendly.
SHOP THE POST
Are y’all in the back to school groove yet?  We were getting there, but now school’s been cancelled for this whole week!

1. August 28, 2017 / 5:04 am

Yes some distractions are good and your choices are amazing!!!

• Megan
      Author
      August 28, 2017 / 9:25 am

How are you doing Giulia? Hope you have a great week!

2. August 28, 2017 / 7:26 am

I love everything!!!!! I just wish I had more money to buy them all ? FYI, the jacket is again sold out. I happened to find by chance the exact same jacket at target a couple of weeks ago. Not sure if it’s also available online. some distractions are good and your choices are amazing!!! Thank you for sharing your article about BACK TO SCHOOL. FOR GROWN UPS

• Megan
      Author
      August 28, 2017 / 9:27 am

No way! I need to check out Target’s clothes more- I always go straight to the kids clothes, then decor, paper aisle, then household supplies!

3. Monica
    August 28, 2017 / 7:58 am

Love the cardigan! Though when I click the shopping link it takes me to the notebook?

4. Michelle Russell
    August 28, 2017 / 9:10 am

Cardigan link is wrong. It takes me to the notebook, too!

5. Kandie
    August 28, 2017 / 9:18 am

First of all, glad your family is safe! I was thinking of you guys all weekend and so sad for those who have lost so much. Brings back memories of Sandy and how hard we were hit in NJ. Keep hanging in there mama!
    Love that cardigan! And those pencils…..my kids would swipe those in a heartbeat LOL!

• Megan
      Author
      August 28, 2017 / 9:21 am

Thanks so much Kandie! I remember Sandy! So sad! I’m hoping the rain lets up soon here!

6. August 28, 2017 / 9:34 am

Have been thinking of your family and all of Houston all weekend! Glad to hear yall are doing okay!

• Megan
      Author
      August 28, 2017 / 11:14 am

Thank you so much Alexis!

7. Ann
    August 28, 2017 / 11:35 am

I love back to school for grownnups. Adorable post and so glad you are ok.

• Megan
      Author
      August 28, 2017 / 11:46 pm

Thank you Ann!

8. Nancy
    August 28, 2017 / 1:03 pm

I love that TB tote. I purchased it about a year ago and still looks great and I use it almost every week 💗Sending prayers and hugs to you and everyone in Houston!!!

• Megan
      Author
      August 28, 2017 / 11:46 pm

Thank you so much Nancy, I appreciate it!

9. August 28, 2017 / 2:33 pm

Glad you and your family are safe! The news is heartbreaking. I’ve had my eye on wide leg crops too. I like the idea of the metallic mule with them..
    Stay safe and dry

• Megan
      Author
      August 28, 2017 / 11:46 pm

Thanks Joan! Those crop jeans are super cute in person! I appreciate your concern. We are safe here, but all around us is high water so we can’t get out of our neighborhood. It’s way better than some people are faring though.

10. Sue
    August 28, 2017 / 7:11 pm

Megan, I’m so relieved to see a post from you. I’m not going to lie,I was worried about you guys. I feel so helpless in this crisis and the children and elderly are so shell shocked. Prayers are going up for Texas.

• Megan
      Author
      August 28, 2017 / 11:44 pm

Seeing the elderly on tv is something I will never forget. I’ve always had a soft spot for elderly people and have had dear “old” friends that have meant so much to me. They are so vulnerable in the storm. Thank you for praying Sue.

11. August 28, 2017 / 7:42 pm

I have been thinking of you! Glad to hear all is ok where you are. Praying for all those affected. <3

Love the grown up BTS picks! There's just something about this time of year that I think will ALWAYS make me giddy. xo

• Megan
      Author
      August 28, 2017 / 11:43 pm

Same here Jen! I’ll be sharing more ways to help with the hurricane tomorrow. It’s truly horrific in so many parts of our city. Thank you for praying!

12. Michelle Nordstrom
    August 28, 2017 / 9:34 pm

I definitely back to school shop a few items for me.
    So glad your family is safe, loved sweet Jordan in the rain on Stories. I told my hubby about my friend Megan in Houston as we watched the news and he paused to try and figure out who I was talking about

• Megan
      Author
      August 28, 2017 / 11:42 pm

I ordered her rain boots today! Hubbys don’t get how we “know” each other! 😉

13. SW
    August 29, 2017 / 5:22 am

Who in the world needs a $2K coffee maker for personal use??! I have to say, I am offended that you would share that.

• Megan
      Author
      August 29, 2017 / 9:14 am

It is pretty excessive, I get that. My hubby got it for us as a Christmas gift and we love it! I get so many questions about it, so I wanted to share!

• Emily
      August 30, 2017 / 2:06 pm

I’m new to this blog, but seeing a $2,000 coffee maker in the same post about people losing everything they own (or their lives) in a hurricane is just absolutely beyond me. If you love your $2,000 coffee maker, that’s great, but that kind of excess doesn’t belong in this post of all places.