DIY {$20 No Sew Curtain Liners}

Y’all know I’m not the greatest DIYer out there, so if I did it myself, you can too!  A few weeks ago I bought fabric to have drapes made for our dining room.  I had a seamstress make them, and she did a great job, however, in my haste, I measured wrong (too long) and did not buy fabric for her to line them with.  I guess I thought I could skip that step, but once they were hung, I realized they really needed to be lined because the fabric is a loose weave, and you could see the blinds through them during the day.

See what I mean?  Ug!
I wanted a cheap, quick solution, so I made a curtain liner out of a twin-sized Target bed sheets.  I think they were $10 each.  Last time I bought fabric liner from Joann’s, I think it was $5 a yard on sale.  These sheets are thin, so if you want a heavier liner, I’d go with a thicker fabric.
The twin sheet width was wide enough to cover the width of the curtains, but about a foot too short (we have 10-foot ceilings in this room).  Since the window doesn’t go all the way to the floor, you can’t tell that the liner doesn’t extend all the way to the floor.
I lay the sheet on top of the drapes and used no-sew tape to iron the pieces together.  I started along the top, then did each side, leaving the bottom alone.

Voila!

I also “no sewed” the hem to make the drapes the proper length.  Much better!
Update:  See how we painted the walls.  I think the final result came out really nicely!
__________________
keep in touch!

subscribe  | instagram | pinterest | facebook | twitter | bloglovin

1. November 15, 2011 / 12:55 pm

Using sheets is always an economical idea! The panels look pretty. I love the print!

2. November 15, 2011 / 2:30 pm

What a clever way to add some weight to drapes!

3. November 15, 2011 / 2:55 pm

So smart!! Just the tips I need until I finally get around to taking the sewing classes I've been meaning to take the past year. They look wonderful. Looking forward to seeing what chandelier will make an appearance 🙂

4. November 15, 2011 / 3:00 pm

I love the fabric. Can you please share the name of it, appears to be something by Robert Allen. The curtains are beautiful.

5. November 15, 2011 / 3:24 pm

I couldn't believe when I saw this! I just ordered fabric to make my curtains (Braemore Fioretto-graphite) and I had already decided I was going to line them exactly the same way-with twin sheets! Have to say, I'm so glad you did your first, now I KNOW it will work! Your dining room is looking so nice.

6. November 15, 2011 / 3:48 pm

The fabric is beautiful. I love how your dining room is coming together. I can't sew a lick, so the no sew tape definitely comes in handy.

7. November 15, 2011 / 5:32 pm

Love it! They look beautiful, great fabric.

8. Natalie
    November 15, 2011 / 12:23 pm

Genius! The curtains look great!

9. Inspire Me Heather
    November 15, 2011 / 12:29 pm

That's a great idea – thank you, thank you, thank you!

10. November 15, 2011 / 7:53 pm

Super easy fix! I love sheets…so economical when in need of just a basic fabric.

11. Shelia
    November 15, 2011 / 1:58 pm

You are the smartest little one! I love this idea and use sheets to line the drapes I've made too but I've always sewn them in. This is easier! Your fabric on your drapes is gorgeous!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia 😉

12. Mom of 2 Cuties @ Sprinkles of Joy and Laughter
    November 15, 2011 / 2:32 pm

You have inspired me! I'm so doing this for our master, instead of paying big bucks for custom. That way if I want to change out in a few years I won't feel so guilty. Your room is realy coming along.
    Enjoy your day
    Maureen

13. natasha {schue love}
    November 15, 2011 / 4:12 pm

Great idea and it turned out great! Love a good DIY that anyone can tackle! 🙂

14. Sixty-Fifth Avenue
    November 15, 2011 / 4:25 pm

That fabric is gorgeous Megan! You are a smart one…the sheet worked perfectly.

15. Courtney {a thoughtful place}
    November 15, 2011 / 8:12 pm

Megan, they look great! Such a smart idea. I have a client making her drapes this week with new sew tape. I love that stuff.

16. Stephanie
    November 16, 2011 / 4:48 am

What a smart cookie you are. Not that $10 isn't a phenomenal price, but Ikea has them for around $2. I bought 4 sets just to "have" for any future projects I might do. Buying sheets is the best way to go for lining drapes, way cheaper and easier than buying fabric for sure. They look beautiful in your dining room.

17. Allison
    November 16, 2011 / 6:47 am

You are so clever, Megan! What a smart idea. Your drapes look beautiful. I adore the fabric.

18. November 16, 2011 / 1:59 pm

I congenital some walls about my table top with avoid tape. You could aswell use painters tape, but get the added adhesive kind. You wish there to be a absolutely bound allowance here.

roman shades

19. November 16, 2011 / 8:24 pm

Just pinned those! I''m definitely going to be attempting this once I figure out the final color scheme for my living room…

20. AnaLisa
    November 18, 2011 / 9:08 pm

Your drapes turned out amazing. Great job! xx, AnaLisa

21. November 22, 2011 / 6:36 am

Wow, it looks so good! Great job!! I love your fabric choice too, the colors are beautiful and the birds are really fun.

22. November 30, 2011 / 8:58 pm

Brilliant idea – I'm helping a friend with drapes for her dining room (trying to a diy chevron curtain) and I am definitely doing it this way!!! Thanks for sharing.

23. September 13, 2012 / 4:40 pm

Hi,
    I am new to Houston and have been looking for a seamstress. Please tell us which seamstress you used to have the curtains made.