DIY {Inspiration Board}

My office is coming along, slowly but surely.  I’ve made curtains, got a new desk, chair and chandelier (that still needs to be hung), and found a rug (so soft and plush on my toes) that I love!  Even though the room has a ways to go before it’s “complete”, I love disappearing into there and working, blogging, crafting.   The walls were still pretty bare, (except for my Blogs and Coffee poster:), so I decided to make an inspiration board. Blogs and Coffee 010 There is one wall in particular, to the right of my desk, that was the perfect size for the board.  image Supplies:

• Cork board
  • Spray paint
  • Fabric (mine is from Fabric.com)
  • Scissors
  • Spray adhesive
  • Thumb tacks (300ish)

I used this very basic cork board and spray painted the frame white. image Measured and cut my fabric to fit just inside the frame.  Inspiration Board 001 Inspiration Board 002 I sprayed the cork board with adhesive and lay the fabric on top. Inspiration Board 003 Then, borrowing an idea from Hi Sugarplum!, I added white thumbtacks (from Wal-Mart) to the edge of the board.  I ran out of thumb tacks towards the end (so annoying!) and had to go get more.  I ended up using about 300. Inspiration Board 004 It’s a little lot difficult to get the tacks to line up perfectly, so I had to redo several. Inspiration Board 005 After all the thumb tacks were in place, I nailed the board to the wall.   I switched out the gray lampshades for white too.  The gray ones went to live in the master bedroom.   image image Here’s how the board looks paired with the drapes. image And in case you’re curious about what the books are- I’m always nosy like that:) image To see another use of this cool fabric, go to Modern Jane and check out her bench seat cushion!  Love it girl:)  ********** I’m sharing this post with these fabulous blogs: {M} Between Naps on the Porch * Making The World Cuter * Thrifty Decor Chick * Skip To My Lou * Keeping it Simple * Mad in Crafts * Super Stinky Boys * C.R.A.F.T. {T} Today’s Creative Blog * All Thingz Related * Sugar Bee * New Nostalgia * I’m Topsy Turvy {W} Blue Cricket Design * Me and my Bucket * Someday Crafts * My Backyard Eden {Th} House of Hepworths * Somewhat Simple * The Shabby Chic Cottage * Beyond The Picket Fence * Life as Lori {F} Serenity Now * Infarrantly Creative *Just a Girl * Chic on a Shoestring Decorating * Decor Mamma * Remodelaholic * Fingerprints on the Fridge * Fun to Craft * The Shabby Nest * The Inspired Room * A Few of My Favorite Things * My Romantic Home {S} A Vision to Remember * Funky Junk Interiors * A Little Lovely * Tatertots and Jello * Be Different Act Normal {S} I Heart Nap Time * Under the Table and Dreaming

Let's be friends!

Subscribe and enjoy exclusive content delivered directly to your inbox!

1. November 16, 2010 / 5:39 am

VERY cool inspiration board…:)))
    Thanks for the shout out too! xoxox

2. Carly @ Honey and the Moon
    November 16, 2010 / 4:00 am

Ooh, I love this. You have definitely sparked a project idea for me!

x

3. Leah
    November 16, 2010 / 4:01 am

I adore your inspiration board!!! So chic and I love how easy this is to do!

Luvs!

4. emily
    November 16, 2010 / 4:04 am

I just bought the same cork board from Target recently to make an inspiration board! I have been thinking about the best way to do it — and you just made it super easy for me! I am totally copying you! Thanks for sharing. And I love the white thumbtacks (I never knew there was such a thing). The fabric looks great!

5. Kristen
    November 16, 2010 / 4:07 am

i love that cork board! what a great idea!! and of course, that blog and coffee poster, i need to find a spot for one of those ­čÖé i'm excited to see it all together!

6. coolkids
    November 16, 2010 / 4:11 am

I have wanted to this forever! You have given me the push!!! Thanks fort the inspiration.
    fun2bkids.blogspot.com

7. Lucy
    November 16, 2010 / 4:22 am

This is PERFECT! I am redoing my office and I've been collecting pictures for my vision board. I just didn't have the board. So happy I found your blog today.

8. Stephanie
    November 16, 2010 / 4:26 am

I love the idea of using thumb tacks for a upholstery nail tacks. So clever. I just did an entire headboard for my daughter using those upholstery nail heads…not fun, took forever. Yours looks much more doable. Cute and clever idea. I love the books too!

9. swankychicfete
    November 16, 2010 / 4:29 am

i cant wait to see the finished room! love that fabric – reminds me of hermes (H)!

10. Lauren
    November 16, 2010 / 5:26 am

I LOVE it! Such a cute idea and that fabric is amazing. You have good taste in fabric! Have you ever tried HawthorneThreads.com?

11. Miss V
    November 16, 2010 / 5:34 am

I am actually having bedroom curtains made in this fabric!! I love it!! Looks great in your office as well on a mood board!! Can't wait to share my curtains!! Looks lovely lady!!

12. Allison
    November 16, 2010 / 5:49 am

I love your inspiration board and that fun fabric. Thanks for the tutorial. Your office is looking beautiful! Yellow and gray are wonderful together. Your curtain fabric is gorgeous! I can't wait to see your finished room! You've inspired me to get going on mine.

13. November 16, 2010 / 11:49 am

Your patience paid off. Love the thumb tack detail. (and I love that fabric, too!)

14. Emily
    November 16, 2010 / 5:56 am

I have been wanting to use that fabric somewhere in my house! Love it!

Emily Hewett
    awelldressedhome.com/blog

15. momnivore
    November 16, 2010 / 5:59 am

that fabric is delicious.

ah, an office of my own. a girl can dream…

16. November 16, 2010 / 12:25 pm

It looks awesome! That room is really coming together. I love the color scheme you chose.
    And thanks for the shout out about my bench! We have great taste in fabric you and I. ­čśë

17. November 16, 2010 / 1:09 pm

I love it! It really does complete that wall. You have more patience than I my dear…300 thumbtacks??? I think I would have grabbed my trusty glue gun and some decorative trim. The lazy way out.

18. Natalie
    November 16, 2010 / 11:49 am

You continue to impress me with your DIY Projects. This is one of my favorites. I love the fabric you picked you out and great idea to do the tacs around the corners. I am so not crafty but you make me want to try to be! oh and your office is gorgeous.

19. Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish
    November 16, 2010 / 12:33 pm

Too cute! Love the thumbtack detail!! ­čÖé

20. Katie
    November 16, 2010 / 12:40 pm

great idea with the thumbtacks…I really want to do this to our bulletin board that hangs in our kitchen

21. Jenny
    November 16, 2010 / 12:54 pm

Oh wow, this is gorgeous!!!
    Now I"m trying to think of where on earth I could put one in our place…. I love it

22. Samantha
    November 16, 2010 / 1:27 pm

Very nice, Megan! Love the fabric with the drapes.

23. Jade @ Flip Flops + Pearls Design
    November 16, 2010 / 2:24 pm

That is one of my favorite fabrics! Looks great on the inspiration board!

24. Michelle @ Ten June
    November 16, 2010 / 2:49 pm

Love it! Now you've got to keep us updated on what you post as your inspiration!! ­čÖé

25. Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
    November 16, 2010 / 2:51 pm

THis is fabulous!! The fabric is so pretty! I have a cork board I wanted to transform but I need to finish the foyer before I start on something else ­čÖé
    Have a wonderful day~
    Kristin

26. Lone
    November 16, 2010 / 2:53 pm

Looks great. Love the fabric. I can't wait to get my office nook going ­čÖé

27. Colleen
    November 16, 2010 / 2:58 pm

Very pretty! I think you created a very nice space!

28. Creative Decor by Brooke
    November 16, 2010 / 3:01 pm

That looks sooooo good. Love the fabric and how the thumb tacks look around the edge. So cute.
    Brooke

29. Katie
    November 16, 2010 / 3:10 pm

This is SUCH a wonderful idea! And (other than lining up the tacks perfectly — which I know would drive me nuts) it seems fairly easy. ­čÖé Thanks for sharing!

30. jillian
    November 16, 2010 / 3:22 pm

ooooh i love it!
    i need to make an inspiration board and was looking for some how-to's so this post is great!

jillian xoxo

31. Courtney {a thoughtful place}
    November 16, 2010 / 4:03 pm

Love it girl, the fabric looks great with your curtains. {I love colin cowie!}. Room is looking awesome.

32. christine, just bella
    November 16, 2010 / 4:45 pm

I love it! It's almost too pretty to cover it up! Nice work.

33. Cassie {Hi Sugarplum!}
    November 16, 2010 / 4:54 pm

Looks great girlie!!! thanks for the shout-out…again! ­čśë "SL, that's what we are" Let's just combine blogs…Sugarplum, We're Home!

I was more straining to see the picture in the frame…I'm nosy like that!

34. Kendra
    November 16, 2010 / 5:11 pm

That is a great fabric, I've eyed it a few times at the store! I especially love the tack detail {however difficult is was to get on there}.

35. Danielle Oakey Interiors
    November 16, 2010 / 5:56 pm

wow, you are so inspiring!

36. MyLittleHappyPlace
    November 16, 2010 / 6:32 pm

Love the fabric choice – great job!

37. Ammie @ domesticallyobsessed.com
    November 16, 2010 / 8:39 pm

As usual, totally freaking gorgeous. Can you come decorate my house? You are ridiculously talented.

38. Jena @ Involving Color
    November 16, 2010 / 8:42 pm

Great job! I love what you have done with this room. I especially love that blogs and coffee poster. That's totally me!

39. JC's Loft
    November 16, 2010 / 9:08 pm

Love the colors, thanks for sharing how you made that!

Paula

40. Anonymous
    November 17, 2010 / 4:57 am

looks awesome!! wowza!! may i ask where to buy ottoman trays that you have throughout your house?

41. Megandvd@Beauty in the Attempt
    November 17, 2010 / 2:44 am

The fabric — the pins — SWOON! It looks so great my dear. I can not wait to see the whole room. If it is as lovely as this snippet….it will be fabulous!

Cheers~
    e

42. November 18, 2010 / 4:53 am

Never tried HawthornThreads- but I will now. And this fabric is pretty thick too. Since I have some left over, I'm wondering what to do next??

43. Lucy
    November 18, 2010 / 12:18 am

I went and got the supplies and hoping to make it tonight after my hubs gets home so he can watch the baby while I spray paint! So excited. I even found the perfect fabric.

44. Lindsay
    November 18, 2010 / 3:09 am

So cute! I love this!

45. leanne
    November 19, 2010 / 3:17 am

Love the inspiration board! Beautiful!

46. Elsa
    November 22, 2010 / 3:07 pm

I have the same fabric laying around! I'm going to have to borrow your idea and do something similar. I love it!

47. November 23, 2010 / 3:27 am

Looks great! Thanks for showing us the books, I'm always nosy like that! ­čśë

48. Lisa
    November 24, 2010 / 2:10 pm

How pretty! The thumbtacks are the perfect touch to add some detail to the board!

49. Eileen
    November 28, 2010 / 6:22 am

Looks great. I like the tacks around the edge, and I love the fabric you chose for your drapes.

50. Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming
    December 1, 2010 / 4:08 am

Megan – Fantastic idea! I love how chic this is and yet very useful! Thanks so much for linking to the Sunday Showcase – I greatly appreciate it. I have featured this today. Hope you are enjoying your week ~ Stephanie Lynn

51. Anonymous
    December 23, 2010 / 3:10 pm

ANKARADA OTO KIRALAMA FIRMASIYIZ !
    Tan─▒m:

┼×irketimiz turizm ve [url=http://www.kiralikotolar.org]rent a car[/url] alan─▒nda faaliyet g├Âstermek amac─▒yla kurulmu┼č gen├ž ve dinamik bir olu┼čumdur. Ayn─▒ zamanda t├╝m personel ├žekirdek bir yap─▒dan gelmi┼č olup, [url=http://www.kiralikotolar.org]oto kiralma[/url] & [url=http://www.kiralikotolar.org]rent a car[/url] alan─▒nda birikimlerini siz de─čerli m├╝┼čterilerimize yans─▒tmaktad─▒rlar.

Ama├žlar─▒m─▒z:

┼×irketimiz faaliyet g├Âsterdi─čimiz alanlar i├žerisinde geli┼čmekte olan T├╝rkiyeÔÇÖmizin vizyon ve kalitesine uygun hizmet vermek ve m├╝┼čteri memnuniyetini ├Ân planda tutarak sekt├Âre yararl─▒ ve kal─▒c─▒ izler b─▒rakma iste─čindedir.

─░lkelerimiz:

─░lkelerimiz, ┼čirketimizi profesyonel ba─člamda ama├žlar─▒na ula┼čmak i├žin kat etti─či yolda sevk ve idare eden prensiplerimizin de─či┼čmez temel ta┼člar─▒d─▒r. ÔÇťD├╝r├╝st ve tatminkar hizmet vermekÔÇŁ gayesi ilk ve en ├Ânemli ilkemizdir. Bu ilkeye sad─▒k kalabilme arzusu ÔÇťKaliteÔÇŁ konusunda ┼čirketimizi ┼ču anda i├žinde bulundu─ču hassas d├╝┼č├╝nce yap─▒s─▒na y├Âneltmi┼čtir. M├╝┼čterilerimizin ki┼čisel ve kurumsal kimliklerine dair sayg─▒m─▒z bu bilgilerin ÔÇťGizlilikÔÇŁ ilkesi do─črultusunda g├╝ven i├žerisinde muhafaza edilmesini t├╝m ├žal─▒┼čanlar─▒m─▒zca vazge├žilmez bir i┼č ahlak─▒ prensibi olarak benimsenmesi ile uygulanmaktad─▒r. ┼×irketimiz uzun s├╝re├žli ve daimi hizmet verme amac─▒nda oldu─čundan ÔÇťG├╝venilirlikÔÇŁ konusunda taviz vermemenin onurunu ve k─▒vanc─▒n─▒ ya┼čamaktad─▒r.

Faaliyet Alanlar─▒m─▒z:

[url=http://www.kiralikotolar.org]Ankara Oto kiralama[/url]:

┼×irketimiz hizmet verdi─či ki┼či, kurum ve kurulu┼člar─▒n ├Âncelikle can ve mal g├╝venli─čini korumay─▒ ama├žla ara├ž bak─▒m ve yeterli donan─▒m─▒ konusunda ciddi ve ├Âzenli ├žal─▒┼čmaktad─▒r. Bu ilkeler do─črultusunda [url=http://www.kiralikotolar.org]ankara havaalan─▒ transferleri[/url], g├╝nl├╝k, ayl─▒k ve y─▒ll─▒k [url=http://www.kiralikotolar.org]ara├ž kiralama[/url]lar─▒, [url=http://www.kiralikotolar.org]AnkaraÔÇÖda oto kiralama[/url], [url=http://www.kiralikotolar.org]┼čof├Ârl├╝ ara├ž kiralama[/url] ve ┼čof├Ârs├╝z olarak normal-l├╝ks binek ara├žlar─▒n─▒, [url=http://www.kiralikotolar.org]minib├╝s kiralama[/url], midib├╝s kiralama ve otob├╝sleri hizmete sunmu┼čtur.

Kurum ve kurulu┼člar─▒n talepleri do─črultusunda ÔÇťKongre ve seminerÔÇŁ faaliyetlerinde gerekli altyap─▒ ve organizasyonun temini ┼čirketimizin bir di─čer faaliyet alan─▒d─▒r. Bu ba─člamda ┼čirketimiz gerekli ara├ž ve insan kayna─č─▒n─▒ temin etmektedir.

52. April 28, 2014 / 12:58 pm

Don't know if I would have the patience to do the thumbtacks, but still a great idea. with or without the tacks.