Homemade Cookies in a Gift Jar

Gifts created with our own two hands are often the best kind of gifts to give and receive- especially the food kind!  I’m reminded of one of my best girlfriends, who happens to be a great cook, bringing us  a very tasty homemade lasagna after James was born.  It was such a beautiful gift, so very needed and appreciated at the time, and I could feel the thought and heart she put into making it.  And it didn’t hurt that it was delicious!

My dad is a very generous and giving man, but not so big on receiving gifts.  My brother and I know he much prefers to be the gift giver, and would only want to spend time with us on Father’s Day, so we decided on making dinner for him at his house.  My brother and his wife prepared the meal, and I brought dessert- homemade chocolate chip cookies.  Who doesn’t love those?!  Made straight from the back of the Nestle’s Tollhouse bag of chips.  That recipe never disappoints.
I wanted my Dad to feel special, even though I was only bringing cookies, so I delivered them in a pretty gift jar.
I got my glass jar last minute at The Container Store, but I know you can find great deals on jars of all shapes and sizes at lots of other stores or online.

I printed out a label with my heart’s sentiment and included a pretty ribbon. I fell in love with this lace ribbon tape I found at Paper Source- isn’t it sweet?!  I thought it added a nice touch to dress up the lid.

I hope your weekend was fabulous!

1. June 18, 2012 / 1:52 pm

So sweet. I like the label idea and your are right…that lace ribbon is adorable. Hope you enjoyed your weekend and that Jimmy had a great Father's day!

2. June 18, 2012 / 2:36 pm

Okay so I absolutely love this. I will totally have to do this someday.

3. June 18, 2012 / 2:45 pm

Wonderful Idea! This is what my sisters and I do for eachother every year for Christmas rather than buying presents!

4. June 18, 2012 / 2:49 pm

What a great gift idea! That lace tape ribbon is perfect for the lid – I'm going to have to buy some of that! Hope you and your family had a a wonderful Father's Day!

5. June 18, 2012 / 2:51 pm

This is a really cute idea. I've purchased these jars at Walmart. Unfortunately, we don't have a container store.

6. June 18, 2012 / 3:22 pm

Adorable. I would love to receive a jar full of cookies.

7. June 18, 2012 / 3:39 pm

That is such a cute idea. I haven't given my dad his gift yet and I'm still looking for ideas. This might be perfect for him because I have no idea what to give him and he loves sweets. The jar makes it so personal.

8. June 18, 2012 / 4:12 pm

Such a sweet little gift…I'm sure your dad loved it and will be thanking you each time he reaches in for a cookie! 🙂

9. June 18, 2012 / 5:55 pm

What a great idea! My dad is the same way- he is such a kind person but doesn't ever want us to get him anything. Taking the time to create such a nice gift would certainly touch him!

10. June 18, 2012 / 8:20 pm

What a great gift for your dad! Love that ribbon and label. Hope you are having a good Monday!

11. June 18, 2012 / 10:51 pm

A very sweet gift. I do the same for my Dad. He is a huge fan of the traditional Tollhouse cookies. Aren't they the best! Such a pretty jar Megan and I love the lace ribbon. Hope you had a great weekend and your hubby had a Happy Father's Day.

12. June 22, 2012 / 2:29 am

Those cookies look so tasty and tempting. I'll have to get some more sugar and choc. chips. I use the little chips, mini morsels, they go alot farther. If you make a double batch, there's more than enough for all the cookies. Yummmmm. I was trying to be good. The jar is really cute also. Wonderful presentation.

13. June 26, 2012 / 10:32 am

I did something similar for Christmas to give to my parents and grandparents. I developed two pictures of my son, put them inside of the jar so it's sort of like a picture display, inside I put homemade gingerbread men (in cellophane so the pictures wouldn't get cookie crumbles all over them) then closed it up, put a cute little bow on top and voila! Everyone was thrilled and no one has even taken the jar down – just ate the cookies!

14. June 25, 2013 / 6:06 am

This might be a dumb question, but what size Mason Jar should I use?

• June 26, 2013 / 3:40 am

Not a dumb question at all, but I can't recall the exact size I used.