Organized Coupons

This post title might be a little misleading because I’m not talking about grocery coupons, I cannot keep track of them at all.  But, what I DO use coupons for all the time is clothes!  In fact, with all the coupons that come in the mail these days, I make a point not to shop unless I have a coupon or discount code.
The problem was that I didn’t have a good system for keeping track of them.  I tried keeping them in my wallet, but the coupons were too many to fit inside a wallet pocket.  Then, I just piled them into this small zippered case, but I would have to search through all of them to get to the one I was looking for.

When I pulled everything out, I realized how many I had (and how many were expired)!
When I was shopping for blog binder supplies, I found a small (7×4 inch) Martha Stewart accordion file that I figured would be perfect for organizing my coupons.  It’s small enough to fit inside my purse, but large enough to hold lots of coupons.

I created customized labels with washi tape and my labeler for the store I shop at most often:  Express, Old Navy, Gap, Ann Taylor Loft, NY & Co, Macy’s and Bebe.  Home decor coupons and Target fit in the first pocket, and Banana Republic will go with GAP.
Now I can see what coupons I have!  I just have to remember to go through them monthly and toss the expired ones.

* * * * *

1. October 17, 2012 / 11:36 am

I really need to do this. I have so many coupons and giftcards and I need to keep them all in one place!

2. October 17, 2012 / 11:51 am

Such a neat idea to sort them out by brands!

3. October 17, 2012 / 12:21 pm

Love it! Mine are ghetto style in a ziploc bag. Looks like I'm off to Michael's!

4. October 17, 2012 / 12:41 pm

I am so with you. It's sad to think how much money goes in the trash because I let them expire! I suck at all things couponing. I forget the grocery ones, the clothes ones, shoes, you name it, I miss out on the deal becauese my poor little coupon is at home in it's cute little coupon holder on my calendar wall in my kitchen! Great idea to seperate them by store!!!

5. October 17, 2012 / 12:49 pm

Very nice! I have an accordion file for mine, but it's not nearly this pretty 🙂 Love MS and her office stuff!

6. October 17, 2012 / 2:04 pm

I do the same thing! It works wonders. It's really cut down on the paper explosion in our entry table drawer.

Lura
    x

7. October 17, 2012 / 3:20 pm

I need to get an organizer for clothes coupons. What about restaurant coupons, too? If I can save any money on something then that's a good day.

8. October 17, 2012 / 3:36 pm

I've got the same system with the same MS accordion! It is so cute and I get longing looks when I pull it out of my purse, lol!

9. October 17, 2012 / 3:58 pm

Great idea. I keep coupons in my daily calendar book which is always in my purse but not that organized. I also created a spreadsheet on the computer to keep track of each coupon, where it's for and what the deal is and the category (home, health, clothes) and organize the whole list by expiration date so whatever is left at the end of the month is always easy to find and delete if it's expired! This way I have them all written down and I can always print out the list to bring with me shopping, or have it on my phone, though just updating it regularly keeps me aware of what I have.

10. October 17, 2012 / 4:08 pm

I recently did the same thing along with restaurant coupons. Whatever I needed always seemed to be at home when I was at the store! So far it's working out well!

11. October 17, 2012 / 6:38 pm

Great idea – mine are scattered all over the place too and I often find they're expire as well. I try to also wait until I have coupons too, especially since most stores usually send out SOMETHING once a month. Tip – you know how Macy's won't let you use coupons on a lot of brand names? If the item is on sale, you can use the coupon – including stuff like Coach or BCBG. You might already know this, but I didn't know for awhile and it's a great tip!

12. October 17, 2012 / 7:38 pm

I love your idea about coupon organizing! I have to ask where do you find coupons with your favorite stores like Gap, Loft, Old Navy etc..?? Would love to get coupons on clothing stores! Thanks for sharing!

13. October 17, 2012 / 8:08 pm

I have the same file for mine! It has made all the difference in the world!! I include my restaurant coupons too. I always hated it when we ended up at a restaurant only to discover the coupons were at home!!

14. October 17, 2012 / 10:23 pm

So great. I am a loser when it comes to this. I cut them and that's the end of that. How simple to have a system. Thanks, girlie.

15. October 17, 2012 / 11:56 pm

That is such a good idea! I tend to leave my coupons at home.

16. October 18, 2012 / 2:11 am

This is so much prettier than my hot pink plastic one – I need a new one like yours! Does your label maker print on clear paper? I need one of those too! 😉

17. October 18, 2012 / 2:20 am

SO smart!! I keep my coupons in a travel case in Olivias diaper bag

18. October 18, 2012 / 4:19 am

This is such a great idea! I am a good coupon cutter but end up stuffing them in a drawer and forgetting about them. Thanks for the tip!

19. October 18, 2012 / 1:52 pm

I really need to do this. Every time i am at the store I tend to say I have a coupon for that, but forgot to bring it or it's expired. xx

20. October 18, 2012 / 9:04 pm

We also love books and like all your ideas on how to display them. Where did you buy the sun mirror over the tv and the one over your bed — like those also. Thanks.

21. October 19, 2012 / 5:00 pm

I find those coupon holders in Target's dollar section. Plain colors, but pretty and do the job. I organize my coupons by clothes, food, entertainment, etc. I love having this and carry it in my purse almost all the time.. that way if I'm shopping I have my coupons on me.

P.S. I had a coupon for Khols earlier this week and shoppped a day earlier than the coupon date – the cashier gave me the 20% discount just cause she saw I had the coupon and I asked her.. score! Give that a try, might work for you! Same thing happened at Old Navy last weekend!

22. October 20, 2012 / 8:15 pm

How about sorting them by expiration date?

23. October 20, 2012 / 8:16 pm

Great idea! How about sorting them by expiration date?

24. October 21, 2012 / 7:09 pm

Great idea! I have a huge problem keeping up with clothes coupons too.