Are You Drinking Enough Water?

One thing I noticed after the Thanksgiving break was that I was drinking less water because I wasn’t working out and I got out of the habit of keeping my water cup full at home.  I felt like my skin was looking dull and icky, so this week, I got back on my normal water routine.
It helps so much to have a large bottle or cup that you like to drink from near you so you remember to drink water throughout the day.  I like the insulated cups the best so they don’t sweat and create a puddle on your furniture.  The one pictured on my desk is from Wal-Mart and holds 20 oz. of water.  I drink about 3 of these a day, so about 60 oz. of water.
It used to be recommended that people drink 8, 8 ounce glasses of water a day = total 64 ounces.  But now, the Institute of Medicine sets general guidelines for total water intake and recommends that women consume a total of 91 ounces (thatโ€™s about 2.7 liters) per day โ€“ from all food and beverages combined. But, depending on your diet, about 25% of the water you consume comes from your food.
I’ve read that most healthy people get enough water in the food and liquid they take in on a regular basis, but you can gague whether you’re getting enough water by if you feel thirsty or your urine is dark.
I feel better when I’m drinking water throughout the day and definitely notice a difference in my skin.

Let's be friends!

Subscribe and enjoy exclusive content delivered directly to your inbox!

I really like these 24-Ounce Insulated Cups.  They come in a variety of colors too for a great price.  I always prefer a lid (just in case of spills) and straw.

How much water do you drink per day?  Do you use a special cup too?

1. December 9, 2013 / 3:01 am

I love my trusty Tervis tumbler – the large one! Or my Camelbak for no spills in my work bag. My husband does a good job of helping me keep my water cup filled at home ๐Ÿ˜‰ so I'm lucky in that way. I have noticed that I drink more water than a lot of my friends – I am often thirsty and definitely have a need for hydration beyond three full Tervis tumblers a day. If I go out to dinner, the waitress/waiter cannot keep my water glass full. So strange and interesting how our bodies work!

2. December 9, 2013 / 10:13 am

When I was working I would drink the 64 oz of water a day… I'd always have a Poland spring bottle next to me at work and go through at least 4 of the 16 oz bottles a day. But now that I'm home with my son I feel like it's harder to remember to drink more. We are also out more where it's not always easy to use a bathroom so I tend to not drink as much to avoid this issue. I really should get into the habit of drinking more water though!

• December 9, 2013 / 4:26 pm

Oh yeah, I'm always having to stop at the restroom. That's the downside.

3. December 9, 2013 / 1:47 pm

Drinking more water is one of my fitness goals! I use that exact cup in orange at work to get my water in.

4. December 9, 2013 / 5:27 pm

I have a 24 oz bottle at my desk all the time. I drink a minimum of 64oz daily and also downloaded an app Waterlogged to remind me the amount of water i need to drink at regualr intervals throughout the day.

5. December 9, 2013 / 9:04 pm

I wonder if this recommendation is considerably higher for those with extreme physical activity? For instance, I'm a Bikram yoga nut and I find that after a few days straight I get VERY depleted. Perhaps that's also a function of replacing electrolytes. I got an early xmas gift from my parents in the form of a vitamix, so I've been making more green smoothies which has made me feel more hydrates and feel better. Love your blog!

6. December 10, 2013 / 5:27 am

I have a similar cup from starbucks and I know I drink WAY more when I use it… problem is my kids love to drink from it too and now the straws are all chewed on!!

7. January 2, 2014 / 2:59 pm

I have same mug but with an aqua lid. My daughter stole, so I decided to get her one, I went to Walmart a couple days ago and they have more lid colors now, I got her one with a purple lid and a red one exactly like yours for my son. I also have the tall tumblers I use for smoothies or water, they are great to take with you when you are heading out the door.

8. January 7, 2014 / 8:15 am

The Holidays really do mess up our drinking habits!
    As for how much I drink, I listen to my body's ques, and most of the time I over drink water.
    I love carrying around my water bottles. It makes for a great example for my kids. It's cool to be a water guzzling mom ๐Ÿ˜‰

9. January 7, 2014 / 8:31 pm

Any thoughts on seltzer? Plain, no sugar (real or fake). I love seltzer (club soda) there is absolutely no ingredients listed on the bottle.

10. January 27, 2014 / 9:32 pm

Can I ask you where you got your stationery? So cute?!