5 Healthy Snacks

Ever get so busy with your day that you “forget to eat?”  Then you are STARVING for dinner?  Yeah, I’ve done that too, but I really try to be conscious of eating every three to four hours now.  I do get hungry that often, so having healthy snacks in my fridge, at work, or in the car are essential.  Here are five of my favorites.  I’d like to hear what your favorite snacks are too.
I like most varieties of applies.  The one pictured above is a Honey Crisp- so pretty and crunchy!  I’m trying to get in the habit of washing my apples when I bring them home from the grocery store so they are ready to slice and eat.  I pair them with natural peanut butter for a satisfying treat.  I always bring apples to work and my own jar of peanut butter for snack time.
Nutrition:  Natural Peanut Butter (2 tbsp): Cal 200; Fat 16g; Sat fat 1.5g; Protein 8g; Carb 6g; Sodium 90g.
Apple (1 medium):  Cal 100; Fat 0; Protein 0; Carb 25g.

Carrots are another wash, peel, and slice item I like to keep in my fridge.  (You can buy them that way for convenience if you prefer).  I buy the giant tubs of hummus since my whole family (including my son) eat it.  This is most likely the snack you’ll find us eating while dinner is being prepared if we’re too hungry to wait.  Pictured above is two carrots, but I probably would only eat one large carrot.

Nutrition 1 Carrot: Cal 30; Fat 0g; Protein 1g; Carb 7g.
Hummus (2 Tbsp): Cal 80; Fat 7g; Sat Fat 1g; Cart 4g; Protein 2g; Sodium 125g.

Nuts (preferably unsalted), the ones pictured above are a combination of unsalted and lightly salted.  I find that my body really bloats up if I eat too much sodium, so I eat unsalted.  I keep these in my car for “emergencies” since they travel so well.

Nutrition 1/4 cup:  Cal 170; Fat 16g; Sat Fat 1g; Carb 6g; Protein 5g; Sodium 0g.
I love Edamame.  I actually enjoy the process of popping the peas out of their little shell with my teeth.    It took me too long to realize I didn’t have to go to a sushi restaurant to enjoy edamame, you can buy it frozen at the grocery store.  I sprinkle it with a teeny amount of salt.
Nutrition (1 cup unshelled/ 1/2 cup shelled): Calories 110; Fat 3.5g; Sat Fat 0g; Sodium 0g; Carb 12g; Protein 9g.

Let's be friends!

Subscribe and enjoy exclusive content delivered directly to your inbox!

These little pre-packaged bundles of cheese are high on my list of grab and go.  I buy the “light” and eat two at a time.  The sodium isn’t great, but the protein is.

Nutrition (2 pieces): Cal 100; Fat 5g; Sat Fat 3g; Sodium 400g; Carb 2g; Protein 14g.

What snacks do you like?
* * * * *

1. September 28, 2012 / 11:12 am

Oo yum, healthy snack ideas! Thanks for sharing 😀

2. imacrazymomof4
    September 28, 2012 / 12:30 pm

love those snacks! i've also found that celery is totally underrated!! it's great stuff and i love it dipped in hummus and with natural peanut butter. the cherry pie Lara bar is also a favorite in my purse…tastes like the real thing without the crust!

3. September 28, 2012 / 1:42 pm

That would be my list! We love hummus here too. It is actually one of the few healthy things I got hubby hooked on. I need to remember to keep something in my car!! Great tip.

4. Colleen
    September 28, 2012 / 2:03 pm

I like all of those. Especially the peanut butter and apple. I should pair those too together. I usually have a rice cake or something like that with it.

5. September 28, 2012 / 2:22 pm

Love Edamame, and like you, I love pulling them out of their shell. I also love to snack on bananas with almond butter and coconut flakes.

6. Courtney {a thoughtful place}
    September 28, 2012 / 2:36 pm

Humus and carrots tops my list {as do apples and peanut butter}. Have a great day!

7. September 28, 2012 / 3:13 pm

You just made my day! Without intentionally being healthy, I snack on all these things because they are all so delicious! Yay for me being unintentionally healthy!

-Sarah 🙂

• September 29, 2012 / 9:59 pm

That is perfect! 🙂

8. September 28, 2012 / 3:19 pm

These are great ideas! I love apples with peanut butter. 🙂 Thanks so much for sharing with us!

9. September 28, 2012 / 3:56 pm

I'm so glad you started this blog! I've been reading HWH for about a year and love it. I just started my post-baby weight loss journey and these are great ideas!

I need to do hummus, duh!

• September 29, 2012 / 10:00 pm

Thank you Becky! I hope this blog helps you along the way.

10. September 28, 2012 / 4:02 pm

All these are great, I also snack on healthy popcorn – I'm embarrassed to admit, but it's a HUGE compliment to you – when you asked for what we'd like to see on your healthy lifestyle blog…Ahem, I thought – I'm 37 – this girl is like young 20's – what does she want to hear from a 37 year old mom?? YOU LOOK LIKE YOU ARE 20! Congrats on the new blog. I look forward to reading more!

• September 28, 2012 / 4:24 pm

That is a huge compliment! I hear 40 is the new 20! 🙂

11. September 28, 2012 / 4:08 pm

I'm loving your new blog….healthy and fabulous.

12. Chassity (Look Linger Love)
    September 28, 2012 / 7:12 pm

Great ideas here, Megan. You look so good. Congrats on the new blog 🙂

13. Chassity (Look Linger Love)
    September 28, 2012 / 7:13 pm

Congrats on the new blog, Megan! Looks great!

14. September 28, 2012 / 7:22 pm

My new favorite is Greek yogurt with a scoop of Kashi Go Lean Crunch in it (less fat and calories than adding granola:))for a little crunch, and cottage cheese! Love your new blog, Megan!

15. September 28, 2012 / 7:34 pm

hi megan!

so excited to see your new health blog up and running – congrats! i joined to read along on my google reader. i'm a busy mom of 3 and i could use all the help i could get! thank you!

samantha

• September 29, 2012 / 10:01 pm

I admire all you parents with more than one kid! Such a full (fun, I'm sure!) life:)

16. September 28, 2012 / 11:42 pm

We do everything you mentioned and also a lot of smoothies for snacks too…not the greatest to pack for on the go but if we're home we love them. Our recent favorite is a bit of OJ, several scoops of plain yogurt, tablespoon of chia seeds, frozen pineapple, frozen mango, and one or two big handfuls of spinach. And then buzz it through the blender! It tastes delicious and is the most gorgeous green color. My girls jump with excitement when we're making "green smoothies" 🙂

• September 29, 2012 / 10:02 pm

I just got a new blender, definitely need to try this! Thanks for sharing Jennifer!

• September 29, 2012 / 10:02 pm

Ha! You crack me up!

17. Rhonda
    September 29, 2012 / 1:31 am

I have followed your other blog for a while and am so glad to see you start this one – I too am a working mom who struggles with finding time to work out and eat right, so this is so inspirational.

I'm training for the Rock n Roll 1/2 marathon in San Antonio so I've had to be disciplined, but I love how it feels. Now I just need to get to eating clean… oh my, how the sweets beckon me!

• September 29, 2012 / 10:03 pm

I hear you on the sweets:) Good for you on the 1/2 marathon!

18. Allison
    September 29, 2012 / 6:12 am

Such a great tip fo have snacks in the car Megan! I need to be better about doing that. Apples and peanut butter and mixed nuts are my go to!

19. Anonymous
    September 29, 2012 / 11:39 am

I eat Chobani Greek Yogurt due to the high protein content. Sometimes if I have a few minutes, I'll throw together a smoothie based on coconut milk. My other go to thanks to many recommendations is a chocolate Shakeology. I had so many extremely fit/healthy friends, etc telling me about it. It is expensive overall, but after being on the fence forever and finally ordering it, I'm hooked! I am 21 weeks pregnant with our fifth baby, so I am definitely watching what I eat so I don't over gain on this pregnancy. So far I've gained 10 lbs, but I am still doing crossfit 3x per week and really setting my mind on not eating junk although my body wants it…ha ha!

Kara

• September 29, 2012 / 10:04 pm

My girlfriend likes Chobani the best too- she says she can find it cheap at Target. Wow- you're doing crossfit while pregnant! How does that feel for you?

• Anonymous
      October 13, 2012 / 12:54 pm

I love crossfit, and I think each person has to find the exercise that they are going to stick to. For me it was crossfit. I liked having the group of people and trainers that pushed/motivated you. I love the strong feeling that it brings. I am at the point of having to modify the amount of weight and movements due to my expanding belly which frustrates me a little. However, I would never do anything to harm this baby, so I know it is temporary on decreasing weights, etc. I am a better mom to almost five exercising and feeling better about myself.

Kara

20. September 29, 2012 / 3:48 pm

Those are great snacks! I also love yogurt with granola, a few crackers with cottage cheese, any fruit or veggies are also a favorite!

21. Jill
    September 29, 2012 / 7:57 pm

What is your go-to brand of hummus?

• September 29, 2012 / 10:03 pm

Right now I like Sabra Roasted Pine Nut Hummus. Do you have one you like?

22. September 30, 2012 / 12:31 am

I make several batches of homemade protein bars on the weekend to get me through the week for my mini-meals. My favorite is Jamie Eason's Pumpkin Protein Bars – the recipe is on bodybuilding.com. They make me feel like I am eating cake!

• September 30, 2012 / 2:25 am

I just made her chocolate protein brownies today and I love them! I changed them up a little and I'll post about it soon. They are more like chocolate cake than brownies- but delicious!

Thanks for reading!

23. September 30, 2012 / 12:34 am

I love all your healthy snack ideas here. I just turned 40 few weeks ago and My goal is lost weight. I have long way to lose but I started exercise for a while now and sticking with it. I still have problem with foods. But I love your new healthy blog and that might will help me motivation and get food ideas from you!

24. Lindsay
    October 1, 2012 / 6:12 pm

Edamame is my new favorite food. It's soooo good and delighted how healthy is for you. Almonds in my purse is also a healthy go to as well as Luna bars. I just discovered Luna bars and think they are fantastic!

25. Dina
    October 17, 2012 / 11:41 pm

I workouts in the evening around 3, before my mid day snack. I am mom of 2 kids and new to exercise( embarrassed to admit that). I just do not know what should i eat after workout. I am vegetarian. so meat and eggs are out. I love yogurt but it gets boring after a while. any ideas?

• October 18, 2012 / 1:09 am

I drink a protein shake after a workout. Could that work for you? They have soy protein powders.