I’ve had this wooden bedroom furniture (bed, dresser, and swivel mirror) from Ikea for about 15 years. It’s still in relatively good shape and we’re using it in the guest room. I wanted to give it a makeover to add some new life to it instead of purchasing new furniture. I figured it would be really pretty in white and then I could add touches of color to the room with the bedding, art, and accessories. BEFORE I’ve never undertaken a project like this before. But, I figured that given all the hours I’ve spent “studying” Centsational Girl’s tutorials about how to paint furniture, that I was armed with some good knowledge and instructions. Day 1. Like a good student, I sanded the furniture lightly with an electric sander, wiped it down with the tack cloth, then primed each piece with spray primer. I then tried to spray paint the pieces with white spray paint. This is where it all went very wrong. After several coats, it looked terrible. Very splotchy and uneven. I think the below picture of the headboard might just be with the primer on, but it didn’t look much better after the spray paint. I ended up at the hardware store buying paint in a can, rollers, and brushes. When I got home, I applied the first coat and it looked 100 times better. Then it started raining! Seriously. Did I mention that I was doing this project in our driveway? Day 2. Hubby offered to help. Thank God. Needless to say, I quickly discovered that I am no CG, and after two days at this
dang fun project in the 100 degree Houston heat and humidity, I really just wanted to be finished! I’m thinking, she does this for FUN?!?! I seriously have an even greater appreciation for all of you DIYers out there now (as if I didn’t before:) Does your back and hands ache too??? Anyhow, the mirror was the last thing to be completed and I really lost steam. It required some detailed painting, and, in my haste, I really did a sloppy job. Painted all over the mirror thinking that I could just scrape it off later. Still on to do list. My husband commented that CG would be ashamed of me! Enough of the drama, here is an AFTER shot of the dresser with new $2 pulls from Lowe’s. We still have to put the bed together (can’t find all the pieces since the move) and I have lots of paint to scrape off of the mirror. Even though this project had its challenges, I will not be deterred! I am determined to try again and, hopefully, my DIY skills will improve with experience. Also, note to self: apply sunscreen next time! *Click here to see the parties I’ve linked to.
Let's be friends!
Subscribe and enjoy exclusive content delivered directly to your inbox!