Snakeskin Kleenex Box from Duct Tape

I’m busting out the duct tape again and turning an ordinary wooden kleenex box into something fancy!  I originally purchased this duct tape (Duck Tape brand) at Target forever ago and turned a shoebox lid into a cool tray.  But, for this project, I ran out mid-way through and then couldn’t find it anywhere.  I looked at two Targets, a Michael’s, and two Hobby Lobby’s.  I eventually had to order more from Amazon.

As you would imagine, creating this faux snakeskin kleenex box was as simple as wrapping the tape around the box (I started with the top, then the sides).  The pattern on the tape is forgiving, but you can try to line the pieces up.  I painted the very bottom black with craft paint so that I could use just three strips of tape along the sides and so the bottom wasn’t taped close- you have to slide it open to insert the kleenex box.  For the hole in the top, I made a straight cut in the tape, then folded the tape underneath the lid part.
I think I must be getting allergies as I get older, because it seems I’m reaching for a kleenex several times a day.  I keep boxes everywhere.  It’s nice to have a stylish box on my bedside table.  Especially next to that Homegoods lamp! Score!
_______________
If you missed yesterday’s post, I wanted to let you know that I’m at Pinterest Told Me To, sharing my “Closet Confessions”.  The Internet ate half my post yesterday morning and I had to fix it, so I wasn’t sure if you saw that part.  😉
See you tomorrow with this Weekend’s Steals & Deals!

1. September 25, 2014 / 11:49 am

Who knew a Kleenex box could look so chic?? What a fun idea!

• September 26, 2014 / 2:17 pm

Thanks Lauren! You have my favorite girl name!

2. September 25, 2014 / 12:39 pm

Such an easy and fun project! Thanks for sharing! I'm thinking about stopping at our local craft store and trying this out myself 🙂

• September 26, 2014 / 2:18 pm

So many great tape patterns out there now!

3. September 25, 2014 / 4:01 pm

Very stylish indeed!

By the way, thank you for the picmonkey information the other day. I am just getting back to blogging again and look forward to trying it out this weekend. I didn't get a chance to comment on your post.

• September 26, 2014 / 2:18 pm

I'm glad you found it helpful. I don't usually write about blogging, but I love reading tips myself, so I may do more in the future.

4. September 25, 2014 / 5:52 pm

I found your blog yesterday through Pinterest Told Me To. I love it!!! And it's perfect timing since we are in the process of building. I wanted to ask you a question. We are finalizing electrical and plumbing and I noticed that in your bathroom you didn't have any sconces by your vanitites. I am not a fan of sconces and had finally resolved to drilling holes in the mirror to have side sconces instead of overhead ones, which I like even less. But, then I saw your bathroom and saw that you don't have any, and only have can lighting above! My question is, does it provide enough light? This is definitely the way I would prefer to do our bathroom if it functions well. I appreciate all the great ideas I'm already gleaning from your site! Thanks a bunch for sharing. 🙂

• September 26, 2014 / 2:20 pm

I do have plenty of light in our bathroom, but we also have a large window in between the two vanities. I often have to close the blinds some because it's too bright! I think sconces in the bath can be so pretty if you find ones you like. Thanks so much for visiting. Sheaffer's post was so funny! and flattering! 🙂

5. September 25, 2014 / 6:21 pm

Great project. Yes, I like to have them available throughout the house but the standard boxes are so not pretty!!

• September 26, 2014 / 2:21 pm

They have made strides in making the boxes prettier, but I prefer this version. 🙂

• September 26, 2014 / 2:21 pm

Thank you!

• September 26, 2014 / 2:21 pm

Thanks Ashley!

6. September 26, 2014 / 4:11 pm

I love this idea!! I wonder if you could use the same concept of the duct tape, but cover it with the marble contact paper you used in another post. I think that might look really cool or not…I'll have to try!