Organizing the Little Things

At my house, it drives me crazy when one type of thing is scattered throughout the house.  I have to collect everything and have it in one place.  It’s just a weird, annoying habit I have.  Zip lock bags (that come in all sizes) are great for corralling small things together.  But, I had a bunch of things in zip lock bags that I knew could be better organized.

Even though having things contained in bags is better than having things all over in different drawers or cabinets, it’s not always the best practical solution.  Every time I needed to hang a picture or was looking for a hook or outlet cover, I had to dig through the bags and I couldn’t easily tell what I had.  I found a pair of small acrylic storage boxes at The Container Store for $14.99 that would be perfect for these little items.
Removing the packaging helped me fit everything into the little drawers.
I like that the container is clear so you can see exactly what’s inside, but that didn’t stop me from making labels.  I printed labels in my labeler and affixed them to colorful Martha Stewart tags.  You can find those at Staples.  She has a beautiful collection of office accessories.
Even though the drawers are clear, having the pretty labels makes me smile.
The zip lock bags of stuff were previously in my pantry, but these boxes fit perfectly in the mudroom cabinet shelf.
So much better!
How do you keep your little things organized?
* * * * *

1. January 10, 2013 / 1:43 pm

I have fallen into the "bag trap" too. Mostly, though, I use baskets or small containers to organize my little things.

2. January 10, 2013 / 1:53 pm

I'm so jealous of your label maker. I so need one of those…yesterday. I love the feeling of a newly organized space!

3. January 10, 2013 / 2:02 pm

You know, the labels made me smile too. I am thinking of things I can organise just so I can get myself some pretty labels too 🙂

4. January 10, 2013 / 2:13 pm

I have something similar in my laundry room and it works well for lightbulbs, batterie, etc. I'm not organized to actually label it, lol. I'm sure it would help when the boys are tearing the drawers apart looking for batteries for their xbox remotes!

5. January 10, 2013 / 2:41 pm

This post couldn't come at a better time. I could be called the "bag lady" I am a big believer in using ziplocks to store things, but I agree it ends up being a jumbled mess. This looks awesome! Nice work!

6. January 10, 2013 / 2:45 pm

I corral all extra hanging screws, felt pads etc. in one one container along with a ruler, leveler and small hammer..you carry it around like a briefcase and it works great!! Just curious though….if you only have X amount of doors in your home and most likely they all already have door stoppers then why would you keep an extra stash of them? It's not like you will be adding more doors to your home right?

• January 10, 2013 / 8:10 pm

Ha! Great question- those are door stops we've removed because when my son was small, he was always playing with them or trying to chew on them so we took a few off and haven't put them back. I wanted to keep them for if/when we do want to.

7. January 10, 2013 / 2:58 pm

That's so smart. Ziplocs are my go-to organizing solution too but they can easily get out of hand.

8. January 10, 2013 / 3:38 pm

Great idea. I love the idea of printing out clear labels and putting them on the brightly colored ones. I never even thought of that. I have to have all of that little stuff organized, too. Well done and I love all of the Valentine projects on your sidebar.

9. January 10, 2013 / 3:50 pm

I'm loving that pop of color from the Martha labels. She really has a fabulous line.

10. January 10, 2013 / 4:00 pm

I really need to get some of those because I have the bag syndrome too! It always drives me nuts when I actually have to find something!
    -Shelley

11. January 10, 2013 / 4:56 pm

I love that you put your clear labels onto pretty ones. Definitely using that idea on something around my house!

12. January 10, 2013 / 11:49 pm

I bought a dozen wide mouth mason canning jars to organize my odds & ends!

13. January 11, 2013 / 11:42 am

WOW! What a great idea!!! I have all these little items in a large basket in my pantry…. I can never find them. Thank you sharing this! I would have never thought of that!!

14. January 12, 2013 / 5:02 am

I used to be organized in our old house, but after moving 2 years ago nothing has a place. It is all in plastic bags in different drawers. My husband would love for me to get the small stuff organized. Thanks for the idea!

15. June 15, 2013 / 9:28 pm

Love this post! I use those MS labels as well! I've already bought two packs because there is so much to use them for. And then we recently got a label maker, so they really get used. Now if they could just keep putting the MS products on Clearance…

16. January 3, 2014 / 4:37 pm

The Container Store always comes to the rescue! This is a genius solution to our kitchen junk drawer that houses many of items you organized. Thanks for the tip.

17. May 25, 2015 / 4:34 am

Love how you took all the stuff from the plastic ziplocs and into those little storage chest. I have some of them for office supplies and want to buy more after seeing yours tonight. Thanks for sharing your ideas.