My Office Turned Sewing Room

Happy Monday! I hope you had a great weekend.  Ours was pretty relaxing, we headed to the beach with my sis-n-law and her family on Sunday, and it was such a fun time.

When we cleaned out the guest room, one random piece of furniture that needed to be relocated was the black writing desk.  I figured it was perfect for sewing, so I made a place for it in my office.  Now that I’ve got a specific place for sewing (and I’ve organized all my fabric and sewing supplies- I’ll have to show you soon), I’ve been sewing more.  Just pillows, but it’s a start.

The writing desk (Crate & Barrel) is now where the tall black jewelry stand (that keeps craft supplies) originally was.  You can see I had to move that stand to beside the Expedit bookshelf.  Luckily, it fit perfect.

I don’t have a fancy sewing chair- I’m currently just using a plastic folding chair from WalMart that goes with our party table and chairs.  A ghost chair might be nice there in the future.

And I finally invested in a cutting mat so I can lay out fabric and cut it with a roller.  I’m terrible at cutting straight lines with scissors, so this works perfectly for me.

Am I the only one who likes to watch SATC while sewing??
If you’re interested, you can read more about my office here.

1. May 14, 2012 / 11:17 am

Oh, I love it!! My mom swears by her sewing mat, she couldn't do it any other way now. Sewing chairs are hard because you are always getting up and down anyway. The one you have looks nice enough though!

I really love all the white you use in your home. It looks so clean and fresh.

2. May 14, 2012 / 11:25 am

I use that exact same desk, in white, as my sewing desk. I've been doing more sewing myself lately and have been thinking of getting a cutting mat. Good to know you're finding yours a helpful tool so far!

Jennifer

3. May 14, 2012 / 11:31 am

It looks great Megan! It is always nice to find a new purpose for something. I really need to dust off my sewing machine. I have a small cutting mat that I use for scrapbooking, but will definitely have to get a larger one for when I start sewing again. It makes it so much easier to be able to use a roller!

4. May 14, 2012 / 11:42 am

It looks amazing, I'm super envious that you even have a sewing space! Mine is currently my living room table if I can find room in the baby stuff!

5. May 14, 2012 / 11:53 am

I used the envelope pillow tutorial you suggested and it turned out great – thanks for sharing!

6. May 14, 2012 / 11:58 am

This is so great Megan! I really want to set up a space for sewing projects so I don't have to always get them and out and clean them up while the babies are sleeping!

7. May 14, 2012 / 12:20 pm

What a perfect sewing space and love the use of the desk…wonderful!!

8. May 14, 2012 / 12:53 pm

I love your space! Where are your curtains from? I am looking for curtains to go in my living room with yellow walls and those are gorgeous!
    Thanks,
    -Jill

9. May 14, 2012 / 1:06 pm

What a beautiful and refreshing room. I love everything about it… And, I especially love Sex and the City on the laptop. One of my favorite shows. 😉

xoxo
    Kristin

10. May 14, 2012 / 1:30 pm

Gorgeous office! I just inherited my grandmother's old Singer sewing machine and I plan to learn how to sew this summer. I can't wait!

11. May 14, 2012 / 2:33 pm

Lovely! I am too easily distracted to watch anything when I sew…I'd probably sew through my finger. :s But SATC is a good choice!

12. May 14, 2012 / 4:12 pm

I don't sew but I love watching SATC & Friends too!

13. May 14, 2012 / 7:56 pm

The room looks really great! I love Expedits! I have several in my craft/sewing room, including in the closet. So versatile. Everything just looks so great when it's organized & absolutely makes you feel instantly more creative.
    CAS

14. May 15, 2012 / 1:01 am

Jill- I made my office curtains with fabric I bought at Joann's. You can read about them if you go to my DIY tab- you'll see office curtains.

15. May 15, 2012 / 2:29 am

SO cute! I really need to re-learn how to sew. There are so many things that I want to make!

I watch SATC on my iPhone while I put on my makeup 🙂

ofthepacific.com

16. May 15, 2012 / 2:36 am

Love love love it! Where is the white desk from?

Chris

17. May 15, 2012 / 8:14 am

You've created such a beautiful space for yourself! Very spacious and inviting, and the color scheme is so soft and relaxing.
    I like your poster in a frame that says – i love you, blogs and coffee! lol I could put the same frame in my room;);)

18. May 15, 2012 / 11:04 am

Love it! So glad someone else is terrible with scissors, Lee cuts all my fabric for me because I'm so terrible! Maybe we're both so bad because we're watching SATC while we're cutting!!?? 🙂 haha

19. May 15, 2012 / 12:47 pm

WOW!!! What a gorgeous space. I really wish I could sew (I actually bought fabric for the very first time last week, so I appreciate the tip about cutting it with a roller instead of scissors). Thanks for the great ideas and inspiration, as always!

20. May 15, 2012 / 9:41 pm

Great job!! Where did you buy that desk?

21. May 15, 2012 / 9:42 pm

Nevermind about answering my question- I was reading too fast 🙂

22. May 16, 2012 / 1:52 am

Love the space…where did you get the "I love blogs and coffee print"? Is it still available I wonder?

23. May 16, 2012 / 1:54 am

Oops; found it in your other post…

24. May 16, 2012 / 1:54 am

Oops; found it in your other post…

25. May 20, 2012 / 3:22 am

I love that you have a craft room! Do you blog there too?

I'm finally starting to use my husband's office when he is gone to blog/work since it has a tv and my "office" is next to the kitchen and play area. With 3 kids under 5, that means I get almost no work done:)

Jessica
    stayathomeista.com

26. July 5, 2012 / 8:36 pm

Megan, your office looks posh. Not to mention the cylindrical chandelier, it sure adds a glamorous look to your office. I like the dim lighting, by the way. It envelopes the room in an elegant atmosphere, that sets one in the mood for sewing. 🙂

You need not buy a fancy sewing chair, my dear. Your current sewing chair is fine. The color and size combination of your sewing chair goes well with your sewing machine. Actually, it looks cute.