Adding Color in the Kitchen

I’m sure I’ve still got the “fresh and green” Spring bug as I can’t get enough of that appealing lime color, and I’ve been craving little bits of it throughout my home.  The kitchen is a place I’m becoming intimately  familiar with lately as I resolved at the start of the year to cook more and I’m in full swing now, creating family meals with healthy ingredients.

We are blessed with a bright, open kitchen with lots of natural sunlight, especially in the afternoon and early evening.  I’m thankful to be able to prepare meals in such a nice, light kitchen.  We have dark hardwood floors throughout the first floor of our home, and because they are so sleek and solid, every spill shows easily.  The wood is bamboo and very hard, so I like to keep area rugs around to cushion our feet.

I recently changed out our beige runners for two colorful striped runners.  The update instantly made the kitchen feel brighter and more fun.

These babies are LONG- 2 1/2 by 12 feet!  At first I thought they were too long, but quickly changed my mind after living with them for a day and enjoying walking on all that softness.  I’ve got a long rug pad underneath both runners, which is comforting and helps the rug stay in place and not slip.

Here’s a close up so you can see the fresh colors- green and lime, light and dark blue, aqua, cream, and brown.  The rug is Dash & Albert Fisher Ticking Flat-Wovan and I ordered it online from Rug Studio.  They were on sale and I was able to use a coupon code I googled “EMAIL20” but I’m not sure if the code still works.

I must be into rugs lately, because I also got a new one for the living room that I’ll be showing you tomorrow!

1. May 7, 2012 / 11:31 am

By the way, you have me buying little white trays for every room in my house!! Thank you 🙂 my kitchen counter looks so much better 🙂

2. May 7, 2012 / 11:38 am

It's lovely and if you get tired of it you can change the up with out it costing you an arm and a leg

3. May 7, 2012 / 1:57 pm

Wonderful runners! They gave your pretty kitchen color and pizzaz!! You've just given me ideas, I should get a runner for my kitchen too! Enjoy your week pretty girl.
    FABBY

4. May 7, 2012 / 2:15 pm

I love the addition of the runners! Great colors. I have a Dash and Albert rug in our Master Bath that I purchased on our trip to Savannah last spring and I LOVE it. It has held up so well. I would love to purchase a few for our kitchen.

5. May 7, 2012 / 2:27 pm

Lauren- I'm glad to hear your rug held up well. We get a lot of traffic in the kitchen so I hope these hold up too.

6. May 7, 2012 / 2:41 pm

Perfect colors for spring! Yea!

7. May 7, 2012 / 3:21 pm

The rug is a great pop of color for spring!! Love how it changed the whole kitchen!

8. May 7, 2012 / 6:05 pm

SO CUTE!!! Ok, PLEASE tell me where you bought the rug pads too =) Hope you are well friend,!! I never get to comment bc your blog is on my iphone and I can't comment from there, but I read your blog everyday!! Hug James for Kendall =) xoxo shel

9. May 7, 2012 / 9:55 pm

they look great!! you know I'm all for color! and i love the green pellegrino bottles too! 🙂

10. May 8, 2012 / 1:58 am

Love the new striped runner and the fun fresh spring colors in it! It looks great on your dark bamboo! You are gorgeous Megan! A great new profile photo!

11. May 8, 2012 / 2:48 am

I will never grow tired of pictures of your kitchen. Or any room, for that matter. So gorgeous!

Do you ever worry about your floors discoloring around the rugs? I worry about that in our house, so I get weary of putting rugs on our dark hardwood. Is there a trick that I'm missing?

ofthepacific.com

12. May 8, 2012 / 1:48 pm

Stephanie- thank you! I hadn't considered fading, but we haven't had any problems yet. 🙂

13. May 23, 2012 / 2:30 am

The green is so vibrant and perfect for spring! Love it and it looks great in your kitchen!!

xoxo