Our Mudroom Gets an Update (Envelope Pillows)

Hi friends!  Thank you for checking in on this blog- I really appreciate that you take the time to read about what’s been going on over here:)  I hope you had a good weekend.  My weekend was productive.  I fell back in love with . . . . my sewing machine!
I almost gave up on her, swearing she was broken and had failed me forever- even though she was practically new- only to realize that operator error was to blame.  I was trying my hand at sewing envelope pillows for the first time, but my machine wasn’t cooperating.  My thread kept pulling and getting stuck, so I gave up and made a couple of no-sew pillows with hem tape (Stich Witchery).
But I knew I could do better.   I googled some sewing video tutorials and found my sewing angel:  Crafty Gemini.  She has a super easy beginner sewing tutorial, in which I realized that I had been threading my bobbin improperly, thus, my problems with my machine.
And her envelope pillow tutorial ROCKED!  I ended up making several on Saturday night!

One of the most-used areas of our home is the mudroom.  It’s where I enter and exit our home, and use it every. single. day.  James sits on the bench to get his shoes on in the morning.  My purse and keys live here, and countless bags and various collections are stored here during our hectic days.  Shoes live in the woven Target baskets below for easy access.
Only now, the area has been made prettier with the addition of my home-sewn pillows!  I made the bench cushion back in January with Dwell Studio fabric, but needed to add some decorative pillows to complete the look.  Go here to see how I made the bench seat– it’s an easy no-sew tutorial!
I bought two more Dwell Studio fabrics over the Easter weekend, Vintage Blossom Dove (the light blue with birds and branches) and botch brindle (the white with tan and light blue paisleys).  Turns out, I had already sewn some brown and light brown pillows for our previous mudroom bench seat, and those pillows went perfectly with my new fabrics.

Here’s my pretty envelope pillow!

Our Pillowless Mudroom “BEFORE”
And Mudroom “AFTER”
Isn’t it amazing what a few pillows can do to add visual interest to a space?!
We’ve since updated this room and painted the doors (while on the hinges), made it a more user-friendly organized space (upper cabinets too!)
__________________
keep in touch!

subscribe  | instagram | pinterest | facebook | twitter | bloglovin

1. April 16, 2012 / 2:30 am

These look fabulous! I'm so impressed. I'm still watching the makeup videos you recommended, and now I'll be watching Crafty Gemini.

2. April 16, 2012 / 2:32 am

Love your pillows and yes, I make all of mine. It is such a great way to change things up for such a small price. I love it. Yours are all fabulous and you did a great job. Hugs, Marty

3. April 16, 2012 / 2:51 am

Those pillows are amazing! I had never thought of adding pillows to the mudroom, what a great idea, it feels like a "real" room, part of the house now!

My older tow kids had a play date with my parents today, so with just the bay my husband and I decided to organize as much as possible, now that our mudroom is cleared out, I can add back in the pretty things.

Jessica
    stayathomeista.com

4. April 16, 2012 / 3:46 am

The pillows look awesome! So glad you fell back in love with your sewing machine! My husband is dying for me to learn how to sew. This is definitely a motivating post! 🙂

5. April 16, 2012 / 4:20 am

I love how they turned out – such a cute area of your home! Way to persevere! 🙂

6. April 16, 2012 / 10:05 am

Looks great Megan! Just may have to try.. it's about time that my sewing machine and I patch things up:)

7. April 16, 2012 / 1:18 pm

Your pillows turned out great and the mudroom looks great! Glad that bobbin cooperated with you!
    Good job!
    Jenny

8. April 16, 2012 / 1:41 pm

yay for you! Doesnt it feel so good to sew something yourself? I have a love/hate relationship with my sewing machine too, but I am always so glad I push through & make something. Your mudroom was beautiful before, but now- its perfect-o!

9. April 16, 2012 / 2:46 pm

Wow your mudroom looks sensational! Who wouldn't want to go home to a welcoming room like that? Great job!

10. April 16, 2012 / 3:05 pm

So so glad you found such a great tutorial. I am in love with my sewing machine as well. Your pillows look fantastic. Doesn't it make you realize you can make any pillow now! So awesome. That spot in your house is just so fantastic.

11. April 16, 2012 / 3:11 pm

These are gorgeous! I am afraid to try my hand at sewing 🙂

12. April 16, 2012 / 3:18 pm

The pillows are seriously so adorable. I love the cozy touch they add to the room- and the pattern. Just great!

13. April 16, 2012 / 3:27 pm

It looks so great! But I just wish I had a mudroom.

14. April 16, 2012 / 3:59 pm

They look fantastic! Love the fabric choices. I need to dust off my machine and get cracking!

15. April 16, 2012 / 5:59 pm

Awesome pillows! I love the fabric! Thanks for sharing the tutorial link.. I've had an itch to make these for awhile, but never got around to it. I think I'll be heading out to JoAnn tomorrow to buy some fabric! 🙂

16. April 16, 2012 / 6:20 pm

To answer your question about "sewing your own pillow covers yet"…yes, and no. I am deathly afraid of the sewing machine, but I LOVE to buy fabric…. my mama to the rescue! She is a whiz at sewing. And I have alot for her to do currently too with a whole remodel of our living room!

17. April 16, 2012 / 11:19 pm

Your pillows look beautiful, Megan! Great fabrics and you did a fantastic job. Your mudroom looks wonderful. I love to buy fabric. I could spend hours at the fabric store. Now, I need to get out the sewing machine and try the tutorial you used. I need to break though my fear of the sewing machine. Have a good week!

18. April 17, 2012 / 7:59 pm

I am printing this picture right now. I want to do the same thing with ours. Gorgeous!!

19. April 17, 2012 / 9:40 pm

Oh my. This settles it. I'm moving into your home, ok? Perfect. I have yet to tackle my fear of the sewing machine…

20. April 19, 2012 / 12:28 am

LOVE IT!!! I'm in love with fabrics from Dwell!!! Too pretty!!
    Lots of Love
    Ashli

21. April 19, 2012 / 1:15 pm

Those pillows make the area look completely different! I love the patterns too. I have been searching for new pillows for our living room and scouring etsy but I might just pull out my sewing machine and try my hand at it too!

22. July 15, 2012 / 12:12 pm

Love your pillows! Yours are all fabulous and you did a great job!

23. January 14, 2013 / 9:51 pm

I would love to know how to sew so I can create pretty things like this, but there are no classes in my area! 🙁