Upholstered Headboard

Our bedroom is on my list of rooms in our house that I’d really like to revamp.  We brought to our new home the furniture we had in our old townhouse and it doesn’t reflect the look I’d like to achieve, so some changes are in order.
I plan to replace our dark square leather headboard for a curved upholstered headboard.  I think it will soften the room and give it a more romantic, peaceful quality that I’m after.

The leather club chair and ottoman need to go too.  They are just too heavy for the space.

The bedroom below from Love This Life is one of my favorites.   I love the monochromatic look that is still interesting.  The gorgeous paneled ceiling and floor to ceiling windows don’t hurt either!

The Ashley Goforth designed bedroom is another one of my favorites.
And I’ve always admired this peek at the bedroom below.

I’ve seen some gorgeous DIY upholstered headboards, but I’m not that ambitious, so I’ve been searching the different varieties for sale.  We have a king bed, so that’s what I’ve been looking for.

I’m leaning towards the High Fashion Home one because it’s not just the headboard, and it also has nailhead trim.  But I’m not crazy about the price.  What do you think?
__________________
keep in touch!

subscribe  | instagram | pinterest | facebook | twitter | bloglovin

1. August 29, 2011 / 2:20 am

I've been shopping for the upholstered headboards too as I hate our bed set. I like the really high nailhead one from West Elm, and I think it's about 599 for king? But I like the ones that have the frame too so I better hit the jackpot soon.

2. August 29, 2011 / 2:32 am

I love upholstered headborads. I think all of those are great options. You might check a place in the Heights. I've gotten lots of nice pieces of custom furniture from different places int he Heights-not cheap, but not as expensive as the typical stores. Oh, or go to Laurie's in Humble/Tomball. I bet you can order one there for 30-45% of the price!

3. August 29, 2011 / 2:57 am

The Crate & Barrel one is my favorite.
    I was coveting one from Pottery Barn, but it was $575 with shipping for a queen size. So I made my own. For less than $45. Of course, that didn't include the upholstered side rails, but I got the feel I was going for. The ones you're looking at would be super easy to make. Even with the nail head trim. If you're interested, this is how I did mine: http://rindymae.blogspot.com/2011/08/diy-upholstered-headboard.html

4. August 29, 2011 / 3:43 am

Completely agree with you, the leather headboard is too heavy for your bedroom, at least on what I can see 😉
    Of all of these, the Crate and Barrel one is my favorite, I'm in love with it! Have you thought of re-upholstering the chair & ottoman?

5. August 29, 2011 / 4:39 am

Gorgeous blog!! Love it!

6. August 29, 2011 / 5:47 am

Oohhh upholstered headboards! The nailhead trim is my favorite look! Soooo pretty!

7. August 29, 2011 / 10:22 am

I love them all! I agree with the other posters that it is really easy to DIY them if you are so inclined. Do you happen to leave near a Pottery Barn outlet? I live about an hour from one and every time I have been there (which is a lot) they have various upholstered headboards from West Elm, PB, PB Teen and Williams Sonoma. Can't wait to see what you do with the space, especially because I love all of those inspiration pix you posted and my bedroom is also on my list!

8. August 29, 2011 / 11:20 am

you should check out csn.com!

9. August 29, 2011 / 11:50 am

I own the one from Sears (although I bought it from Overstock.com) and couldn't love it more! It is identical to the C&B bed but for less than half the price. It's built well and looks gorgeous. Just think about what you could do with an extra $800!

10. August 29, 2011 / 12:13 pm

I love an upholstered headboard. I would consider the bedding you plan to use before purchasing…will it cover the bottom? If so it would be wasted money buying a piece that is more than just the headboard itself.

11. August 29, 2011 / 1:15 pm

CB is my favorite!

12. August 29, 2011 / 1:35 pm

Its probably too late- but Joss & Main is having an upholstered bed sale going on right now! I think its ending today! but they have amazing prices on their beds!

13. August 29, 2011 / 1:38 pm

Amanda took the words right out of my mouth – I saw the same upholstered headboard sale via Joss and Main and they had some fab headboards for much better prices! I love, love, LOVE upholstered headboards – good luck!

14. August 29, 2011 / 2:04 pm

the joss and main ends today! go check it out they have a sandstone linen total bed like the one you like for like $700 (its skyline furniture) good reviews…. fun! fun! xoxo shel

15. August 29, 2011 / 2:08 pm

love upholstered headboards with nailhead trim – they look so luxurious! I'm excited for you – can't wait to see what you end up getting!

16. August 29, 2011 / 2:30 pm

I love upholstered headboards. I recently traded in my dark wood sleigh bed for the Lewis Upholstered headboard from Pottery Barn. It really opened the room up. I also made a DIY version for one of my guest bedrooms. Once I figured out what I was doing, it was a pretty simple project.

17. August 29, 2011 / 2:39 pm

Love having an upholstered headboard – ours is custom made from Lewis and Sheron here in Atlanta. We wanted it extra tall (6'!) and it was only $600. (We have just the headboard – we use a bedskirt to tie the whole bed together.)

Don't forget craigslist – we always have great luck there!

18. August 29, 2011 / 2:57 pm

Love them all. Nailhead trim is a must. I think I like just the headboard best.

19. August 29, 2011 / 3:14 pm

I like the Restoration Hardware one! So elegant and such clean lines.

20. August 29, 2011 / 3:58 pm

What is your email? I'd like to ask you a question.

21. August 29, 2011 / 4:04 pm

Yes, checkout CSN.com, I found a tufted one on there for a fraction of the cost, and I added my own nailhead trim around the footboard, super easy to do and I'm very happy with it.

22. August 29, 2011 / 4:24 pm

Definitely check out Kimber's House of Pemberely on Etsy. She makes custom headboards and her work is FANTASTIC!!! I have so much of her impeccable work in my home. She ships via greyhound so shipping is super cheap even to the Houston area. Here's her link

23. August 29, 2011 / 5:23 pm

Ooh love upholstered headboards and love all of these! I like the Crate and Barrel one here a lot! And I think Emily is right- there is a less expensive version at West Elm. Just gorgeous!

24. August 29, 2011 / 5:50 pm

Stunning choices – I actually love the gray ones best

25. August 29, 2011 / 5:55 pm

I just got the Raleigh upholstered headboard with nailheads from PB and LOVE it. All of your choices would be great! I think they had some on Joss & Main last week? Love it!

26. August 29, 2011 / 6:05 pm

I love upholstered headboards – I fell madly in love with one from Restoration Hardware that was way out of my budget. So, I actually made my own! It was pretty easy and a fraction of the cost. I just recently posted about it on my blog: http://runninglawyer.blogspot.com/2011/08/diy-upholstered-headboard.html

Let me know if you have any questions! I'd love to help!

27. August 29, 2011 / 8:09 pm

I like them all but my fave is the Restoration Hardware one & the price isn't bad either!

28. August 29, 2011 / 8:21 pm

I LOVE the Restoration Hardware piece! We don't offer nail head trim but we do try to make upholstered headboards affordable and customizable to fit your space. Check us out if you care!

-Katy

29. August 29, 2011 / 9:06 pm

Love all of your inspiration shots… so serene and pretty! My fave is the Crate & Barrel bed… love the soft curve and just the right amount of nailhead… I also like the color better than the High Fashion Home one.

30. August 29, 2011 / 9:58 pm

I know you want a curved shape, but you could recover your existing one in a lighter fabric for the meantime? Maybe see how the rest of the room develops before making such a huge investment? I love your choice though!

31. August 30, 2011 / 2:27 am

I am not crafty and I diy'd my own headboard. I used the Crate & Barrel bed as my inspiration. It took me 2 evenings and cost less than $100. I'm thrilled with the results! I don't have the side rails but I think they'd be pretty easy. I'd definitely encourage you to give it a try!

Here's a link to my headboard.

32. August 30, 2011 / 2:58 am

We have the Collete bed from C&B. I love it and usually rethink big purchases like that, but haven't looked back for a second!

33. August 30, 2011 / 3:12 am

I'm thinking you should let some of us bid on the leather headboard, chair, etc. and then you'd have extra money to pay for the new headboard! 🙂 I like the leather – but understand being ready for a change.

34. August 30, 2011 / 5:17 am

I just ordered a upholstered bed and cannot wait for it to be delivered! And a friend of mine has that Crate and Barrel bed you posted. It's lovely in person!

35. August 30, 2011 / 5:29 am

Hi I have been following your blog now for a long time but this is the first time I have ever posted. I sure hope I am doing this right.

I purchased my upholstered bed at Bassett Furniture. Not sure if there is one around you. I liked that I could pick out the fabric and I decided also to add nailhead trim.

36. August 30, 2011 / 5:38 am

We got our cream tufted head board online! I only payed 350.00 bucks!! We have a cal-king! I love it! Do you want a bed? Or would you do just a head board? If you want the name of the Place I got it from…let me know! Ill get the info for you! I am in the process of finishing my bedroom! Check it out on my blog!

37. August 30, 2011 / 1:06 pm

Wow those are some great beds! I'm curious about the sears knock-off of the C&B Colette. Would you mind linking up to it? I can't seem to find it on their website. Thanks!

38. August 30, 2011 / 3:22 pm

Hey Megan… just thought I'd let you know that Joss & Main has a couple of these type beds today… a tufted wingback style for $600 and a nailhead trim for $500.

39. August 30, 2011 / 5:35 pm

Bassett furniture makes a great nailhead trim one and if you watch they are always having sales. It was $1300 the last time it was on sale.

40. August 30, 2011 / 7:16 pm

I really like your inspiration pictures and the High Fashion headboard. At first I thought it seemed like a lot but then I think of our bedroom furniture and that is probably in line with what we spent. Sometimes I wish I hadn't spent as much b/c now I feel married to it and I am not sure I will want it forever. Just something to think about. I love the white monochromatic look though.

41. August 31, 2011 / 12:46 pm

Have you tried Kmart? I saw on DecorPad one day they had one like looked very similar to these that you like. It has the nailhead trim. Check it out!

42. September 3, 2011 / 5:15 am

Check out Ballard designs too! They have all upholstered stuff on sale right now.

43. September 4, 2011 / 9:12 pm

So love the headboard. It all looks so good. I love the other images of bedrooms and want to steal a lot of those ideas. We just made a headboard today and I posted it on my blog. Hope to finish it out like some of these rooms!

44. September 5, 2011 / 1:36 am

crate & barrell one is my fav but for the look you want I like the restoration hardware one

45. September 6, 2011 / 10:21 pm

Seriously try overstock. I bought my nailhead linen headboard on there 3 years ago and I swear to you I think I paid around 350 for it…STEAL!!! Love the blog!

46. October 14, 2011 / 4:02 pm

I sell hand crafted Custom Upholstered Headboards for less! Check me out or message me for pictures via ebay, username: customheadboards2011

47. May 31, 2012 / 5:49 am

I appreciate all of the great suggestions on here – but, I"m wondering if you all realize that [on the C&B Colette Bed] the [tall] flared legs actually make the Colette Bed look extremely elegant. I've gone to the sites suggested by others to find the EXACT same Colette Bed and have yet to find it. The Lauren Bed is the closest thing, however, the legs are not as tall as the legs on the Colette Bed. The O.co bed that is most similar has short thick wide, slightly tapered legs. It makes the bed look much heavier. This is why I will probably purchase the Colette Bed within the next couple of months.

48. January 4, 2013 / 5:56 am

Post is fabulous 🙂 i want to have the same set for my bedroom 🙂 thanks for the share 🙂