Spring Cleaning & Organizing {Kitchen Drawers}

Of all the rooms in our house, the kitchen is the one I probably spend the most time keeping tidy and organized.  It’s the most-used room in the house and gets the dirtiest the fastest.  I love when it looks like the picture below, but of course, that’s not most of the time.

Today, I’m sharing a peek inside our kitchen drawers, 3 of which are dedicated solely to James’ evolving feeding needs.  We are blessed to have a lot of kitchen storage, so I’m able to organize things how I like.   But, even with an abundance of storage, I don’t have a lot of “extras” in that we try to have just enough of what we need.  That’s the first rule of organizing, Edit! and don’t have too much stuff! 🙂

The drawers in the L of our counter hold the things I need quickest access to, like James’ bibs and washcloths, his utensils, and silverware.

Then the two far right drawers hold paper things like my grocery list, pens, envelops, stamps, calculator, and the tape measure I’m always reaching for.  It’s also where I keep my camera charger, photo adapter and fan remote since I like to have those things in easy reach.

The drawers by our sink/stove hold the larger cooking utensils, extra knives, and since the drawers are nice and deep, they also contain James’ cups.  The bottom drawer is James’ drawer that has things he can play with.
Kitchen Organization 006
We also have a drawer for all the baking tools:)

And finally, the top drawer of the island is for plastic baggies, foil, and my measuring cups and spoons, since I prepare our meals on the island.  The middle drawer holds all our tupperware.  I bought two sets of Rubbermaid tupperware and now I don’t have any mismatched pieces.  Love that!

You can order it here.
If you’re having trouble keeping your drawers organized, I think it feels good to at least have a clean kitchen sink.  I aim for that each night, since it feels so much better to wake up to:)

For more Spring cleaning & organizing, go here and here!

1. May 26, 2011 / 11:12 am

You know me, I love an organized drawer! Great job! And, those lilies are beautiful.

2. May 26, 2011 / 11:19 am

Argh! Megan! Come to my house! I need you.. my drawers look nothing like that!! I'm so jealous:)

3. May 26, 2011 / 11:30 am

I am so impressed! I wish I had as much drawer space as you! Half of the time Sterling's sippy cups are sitting on our counter because we have no drawer space! You are so organized, now I sm inspired to get my organize on today!

4. May 26, 2011 / 12:25 pm

Seeing your pics has inspired me to clean up the junk in my own kitchen today. It got pretty messy this week–preschool graduation, Bible study, a play date…we haven't been home much. :s I too love a nice, organized drawer!!

5. May 26, 2011 / 12:44 pm

I'm all about a clean kitchen sink, its the rest of these areas that I need major help in (jealous..)xx

6. May 26, 2011 / 12:49 pm

I certainly need some drawer organizers to help contain the stuff in my kids and husband's kitchen drawers! But at least everyone having a drawer keeps away the piles from every other surface! Janell

7. May 26, 2011 / 1:48 pm

seriously! where do you find the time girl w/ a little one at home and being a working mommy! Your awesome!!!

8. May 26, 2011 / 1:56 pm

Great tips. Your kitchen is so beautiful! Those are my favorite pendant lights.

9. May 26, 2011 / 2:23 pm

Your kitchen is so dreamy. Organizing my kitchen is something I really need to do. We're lucky & have a lot of storage too but stuff just isn't organized like it should be. Thanks for the tips.

10. May 26, 2011 / 2:25 pm

I am sincerely jealous of all your drawer space! Your kitchen is how I want mine! A drawer and a spot for everything! If only my two drawers would do it! Thank goodness I am only renting! Thanks for sharing!

11. May 26, 2011 / 3:35 pm

Wow, you have SUCH a beautiful kitchen!

12. May 26, 2011 / 4:27 pm

Looks great! I am the same way…I tidy the kitchen and sink each night before I go to bed 🙂

13. May 26, 2011 / 4:55 pm

Cute green print melamine plates! I feel like I've seen them before…

14. May 26, 2011 / 5:28 pm

I'm loving your organization tips! And I liked to hear you saying that the kitchen is the place that gets dirty fastest in your house too! I was just feeling like a messy cook! I mean, it's just me and the hubs and after dinner, kitchen is a mess! I don't to imagine what it's going to be like when we have kids!!!

15. Anonymous
    May 26, 2011 / 5:44 pm

Do you know where I can find decently priced bed sheets that are still cute? I've tried West Elm and Target, but they don't have too much of a selection!

16. May 26, 2011 / 6:22 pm

your kitchen is gorgeous and i marvel at your organization. i wanna be like that when i grow up 🙂

17. May 26, 2011 / 7:10 pm

You are killing me with all of this organization! I need to get a move on. I'm almost done with the garage but now the rest of the house needs a good go through! Thanks for all the tips.

18. Anonymous
    May 26, 2011 / 8:14 pm

I am so in love with your kitchen. Those counters are my absolute fave. Perfection.

19. May 26, 2011 / 8:50 pm

You should reconsider the career my dear! So great. I wish I had more drawers. I spy green plates that I have as well! 🙂

20. May 26, 2011 / 9:25 pm

I wish I had a sink as deep as yours!

21. May 26, 2011 / 10:48 pm

Looks GREAT!! Great tips on the editing part to organization… I think that's my biggest problem, I always want to hold on to things… just in case. I hope you'll extend these organization tips to the bathroom, I need major help with all my hair products! 🙂

22. May 27, 2011 / 2:56 am

I've been stalking your blog for the past month and am in love with your house! You're home is gorgeous!! How to you stay motivated to keep it so clean? I always try and keep mine clean, and for the most part it is, but you take it to a whole new level!

23. May 27, 2011 / 2:56 am

24. May 27, 2011 / 3:29 am

PLEASE come and organize my house…I am begging you! Looks great, per usual.

25. May 27, 2011 / 5:10 am

Everything looks amazing (but that's not surprising!). Love how nice and wide your kitchen drawers are!

26. May 27, 2011 / 7:53 am

wow, new follower, and i'm completely obsessed!

I'm having a giveaway for a $20 gift certificate to Green Apple Paperie on my blog right now if you're interested! It's an amazing store 🙂

xo Ashley

27. May 27, 2011 / 9:18 am

Your kitchen is dreamy and so inspirational. I use the same knife caddies for knife organization. I also hate mismatched tupperware and have the same set, but I haven't been able to come up with a good storage solution for them. Maybe you can share how you keep your spices organized and easy to access when cooking.

28. May 27, 2011 / 12:17 pm

i couldn't agree more – we always take the time to tidy up the kitchen after our last cup of tea in evening so it's clear of things in the morning. this has always been a 'thing' with me… i hate waking up to a messy kitchen!

29. May 27, 2011 / 1:27 pm

Girl — you are on a roll!!! Looks great…now drive north and do mine!

ps — the first 2 pics on this post are formatting weird.

30. May 27, 2011 / 5:42 pm

Great post on some kitchen Spring cleaning. I wonder how many people struggle with the mixed/match aspect of Tupperware?

31. May 27, 2011 / 8:11 pm

Loving the organization posts! They definitely help!

32. May 28, 2011 / 12:20 am

Just had a random question..saw your martha stewart rug you got on home decorators..is is more on the gray or brown side? i love it! im looking for one closer to gray and in your pics it looks gray..on on the website it looks more brown..go figure! thanks for your help!

33. June 2, 2011 / 8:11 pm

Your kitchen is beautiful and so functional as well! I am wondering where you found your clear plastic drawer organizers? I desperately need some and I love the look and simplicity of yours.

34. June 10, 2011 / 1:16 am

I am feeling inspired now! Thanks for the push!!

Chelsea

35. June 10, 2011 / 1:42 am

What a fantastic kitchen. It looks super functional without looking industrial or sterile. The counter tops are amazing and I love the cabinet paint color. Great job!

Philippines properties for sale

36. October 17, 2011 / 6:20 am

I love an organized drawer..! Your kitchen is so beautiful! Those are my favorite pendant lights. SUCH a beautiful kitchen!

37. February 6, 2012 / 5:12 pm

Bakery Equipment
    – Baking Equipment Sale – Bakery Equipment Melbourne
    Australia Call (03) 9357 2666

38. August 2, 2012 / 6:26 am

Others may argue that a clean and dry countertop as well as sink can only be seen in households that do not use their kitchen often – but we can still make this happen. Even if we use the kitchen sink everyday, taking the time to wipe and keep things dry after usage is possible. Thanks for sharing!

39. November 5, 2012 / 10:10 am

You actually have a great kitchen. Drawers and cabinets are really very useful especially in the kitchen where several utensils and appliances are being used. These organizing tips you have shared are really very useful. Home owners and cleaning companies Phoenix alike can pick informative tips from your post. I do agree that keeping the sink clean is one of the most important things to do in a kitchen. Thank you for sharing these pictures, too.

40. December 30, 2012 / 10:15 pm

We are building a new home and I have a question. What kind of microwave do you have? Is that a microwave drawer? Beautiful kitchen and I am inspired to organize my new home in 2013!