Fridge Cleanout

Lately I’ve been trying to save money so that I can purchase the bigger-ticket items (like furniture) to bring our home design together.  It’s requiring a lot of patience, but I think it’s a good thing because it allows me to take my time to develop the vision I have for each room. I’ve been working on my own design boards for the rooms, which I love, because it allows me to see more clearly what the rooms will look like before I make my purchases.  So, I was remarking to my friend Emily recently that, when I don’t shop, I organize and clean!  The fridge was on my hit list last weekend. To me, the fridge is one of those areas like the car, that sometimes gets too little attention, but when it’s clean and tidy, it feels so good.  After our latest trip to the grocery store and once all the groceries were put away, I couldn’t even see what we had because it was so unorganized (especially inside the drawers).  DSC_0201 DSC_0204 DSC_0203 You all know by now that I like to start with a clean slate.  Take everything out.  Yep, all 4 bottles of opened soy sauce, both jars of mayo, and all the expired salad dressing!  DSC_0206 A little scrub with soap and water gets the fridge all shiny again!  (see my little helper at the bottom?!) DSC_0207 DSC_0209 Then, hello organized refrigerator! DSC_0212  DSC_0211 (It’s weird to see the 3 different kinds of milk we’re buying these days:  skim for me, soy for hubby, and whole for baby) And now I can see what’s in the drawers! DSC_0219 DSC_0217 DSC_0218 I think the freezer is jealous now . . . better get to it!

1. April 13, 2011 / 3:41 am

i love a nice clean fridge. it makes everything feel right in the world 🙂 but as much as i love it … i tend to also let it go for a little longer than i should.

yours looks great all spiffed up 🙂

2. April 13, 2011 / 3:43 am

I really need to give mine some attention soon. I used to clean mine out really good once a week and then we moved and I haven't found a good rhythm yet.

3. April 13, 2011 / 4:09 am

Yep, I was going to ask what's up with all the gallons of milk! And I love laughing cow cheese!!

4. April 13, 2011 / 4:28 am

oh @#^&! Salad dressing expires?!?!!?

5. April 13, 2011 / 4:32 am

Isn't that the best feeling in the world to have a clean frig! I just did mine this last weekend. It looks like your cute little heper is eyeing that orange juice!

6. April 13, 2011 / 4:51 am

Feels like an episode of Cribs!

7. April 13, 2011 / 4:58 am

I really need to clean out my fridge!!
    I love coming home from grocery shopping and putting my groceries into a clean and organized fridge!! 🙂
    Enjoy yours!!

8. April 13, 2011 / 5:07 am

I love your practical posts – makes me want to get all up in my fridge right now!!!! I "try" to do this each week when putting new groceries away but I do need to take out everything and scrub the shelves … thanks for the inspiration
    xoxoxo
    E

9. April 13, 2011 / 5:29 am

My fridge just looked at me and said 'hmmmphf'. I think it's ticked off. xoxo Shelli

10. April 13, 2011 / 7:58 am

my fridge needs a good clean too. i am scary with how often i organize it. yours looks good.

11. April 13, 2011 / 11:00 am

I'm with ya…I have to have an organized frig and pantry! My tip-I clean ours each week PRIOR to our grocery trip. I wipe down on shelf/drawer/bin at a time, throw any expired items away, and then can take stock of what we TRULY need so we don't waste money. It makes the chore so much easier than waiting til the frig is a total disaster! Do the same with the freezer as well.

12. April 13, 2011 / 11:37 am

i must admit i too love a clean and organized fridge – and i organize it more often than i care to admit – my lovely husband voluteers to put the groceries away after our weekly shopping but i would prefer to do simply b/c everything as its spot.

13. April 13, 2011 / 11:45 am

I just did this last Saturday! I think my freezer is jealous too!

14. Silvina
    April 13, 2011 / 12:25 pm

You're my idol.

15. April 13, 2011 / 1:44 pm

ugh! I think I hate cleaning the fridge more than cleaning toilets! It looks good!

16. April 13, 2011 / 2:22 pm

I clean when I don't shop too!! It's a great way for me to feel like I'm making my home more beautiful without spending money. My next task is to get all of the "stuff" off the kitchen counters that we've accumulated. Yuck!

17. April 13, 2011 / 2:38 pm

i do love a clean fridge.
    funny, my hubby likes to do it more than me so that's even better!!

18. April 13, 2011 / 2:48 pm

Not to sound completely Type A here (who am I kidding, I am!) BUT – it's amazing the difference it makes just having all labels face the front. And then my 2nd sorting tip is having large items in back, small in front. Huge timesaver!

19. April 13, 2011 / 2:50 pm

I love cleaning out the fridge 🙂 I always feel so much better after I organize a little bit here and there…you've inspired me to clean out the garage fridge…who knows what's in there!

20. April 13, 2011 / 4:56 pm

It looks great! 🙂 I, too, was wondering why there are 3 different kinds of milk in your frig.

21. April 13, 2011 / 7:03 pm

i am inspired! gonna clean the fridge and freezer this weekend! yahoo!

ps- we are a multiple-milk family, too! love it!

jill @ valley-mama.blogspot.com

22. April 13, 2011 / 9:06 pm

You will smile when you open it! The fridge looks great. It's one of those places we often neglect, but is quick to fix! I also cannot live without coffee mate's creamer! Love it! 🙂

23. April 13, 2011 / 11:53 pm

I understand. I had to make a mental note the other day not to buy something because I already had 2. Guess what.. mental note gone. Rhut Roh.

24. April 14, 2011 / 12:25 am

Hi there! I am your newest follower and I love your blog!! This is a job I need to tackle but I am putting off "spring cleaning" until I can do it with the windows open (that is my excuse for now anyway) 🙂

25. April 14, 2011 / 1:03 am

uggg… I am going to pretend that my fridge looks like that so that I don't have to race over there and clean it immediately!!;)

26. April 14, 2011 / 4:35 am

It looks so good! Seriously, Laughing Cow cheese has got to be one of the best things ever!

27. April 14, 2011 / 5:29 am

I SO agree with you on how the fridge becomes this dark hole of chaos. Having spent time working in a professional kitchen, I totally am now trained to clean and rotate every three days. FIFO is what I live by — first in, first out!

And thanks for stopping by the blog! I appreciate the patronage 🙂

28. April 14, 2011 / 5:41 pm

You are so right, it feels good to have a clean fridge. And even better a clean car, one of my favorite things!

29. April 14, 2011 / 6:25 pm

Your fridge is so fulL! I need to do grocery shopping now, ha!

30. April 15, 2011 / 3:21 am

oh, the Mrs. Kravitz in me is loving the peek inside your fridge! I'm one of those that only buys what we'll eat for the week…so there are literally tumbleweeds blowing through the fridge and pantry after a week or so! i found I spend a lot less when I shop with purpose and not just general 'stocking up'

And when the fridge is empty, that's what take-out is for!

31. April 16, 2011 / 10:32 am

Good Job done!! You have inspired me..my fridge also could do with this cleaning and organizing spree… thanks for the idea!!