Updating the Bar Area

We have this great area in our home between the dining room and kitchen that is perfect for entertaining- equipped with a sink and wine fridge.  It’s where Jimmy makes his famous margaritas!!  It’s also where our china, wine and champagne glasses are stored, along with serving platters/trays, table cloths, placemats, napkins, napkin rings, various vases, vase fillers, and candles.  When we designed our home, I knew we needed extra storage in a central location for those types of things that were previously stored in various places around our townhouse.  I’m so thankful for this space! Makes an organization nut like me very happy! image    DSC_0177 DSC_0161 (we’re still working on our wine collection- pitiful empty wine rack!) So, although the space is very functional, I wanted to liven it up a little, and figured a mirrored backsplash would be perfect.  I tried looking around for a mirror or two that I could purchase but the space is just too long and skinny.  I called a couple local hardware stores, but they didn’t cut mirrors. Then I remembered the awesome company that I ordered all the custom mirrors for the house from before we moved in, Cut Rite Glass, a husband and wife owned and operated company in Houston.  I called Cheryl and explained what I wanted and she sent they guys out to measure the space to get a perfect measurement.  About a week later, they came back and installed the mirror:)  image image image DSC_0078  To make a long, boring story short, we moved the far left outlet up under the cabinet (cost $45 for the electrician to come out and do that) and had a hole cut for the far right outlet and a mirrored plate added.  (I had the hole cut in the mirror before I knew that outlets could be moved fairly easily and cheaply- otherwise I would have moved both!) DSC_0086  DSC_0087 The cost of the mirror and installation (with the outlet cut and mirrored plate) was $216.  It would’ve been about $170 if they didn’t have to make the cut for the outlet and provide the plate.  Also, a beveled mirror would’ve been about twice as expensive. DSC_0085 I love how the mirror reflects the curved staircase from this angle! DSC_0079 Then we played dress-up . . . DSC_0151 DSC_0157 When the guys were over measuring the area, they admired my mirrored tray ($40 at Target) and couldn’t believe how inexpensive it was- they said for them to custom make it would cost about $400 (because of all the small, beveled pieces)! DSC_0165  DSC_0168 And what I’ve learned over the last two weeks is that outlets and thermostats can be moved people!  We’re still waiting for the replacement wireless thermostat, but I can’t wait to get it off of my art wall:) DSC_0169 ********* I’m sharing this post with Sarah image

1. March 30, 2011 / 1:40 am

Looks great, Megan! Good luck filling up that wine rack… It's ginormous!

2. March 30, 2011 / 1:42 am

What a great idea! Love how the mirror reflects now.

3. March 30, 2011 / 1:44 am

Looks great! We have a similar area that needs some help…this is good inspiration!!

4. March 30, 2011 / 1:44 am

I can't believe how great the mirrored looks. I love your dark cabinets and counters.

5. March 30, 2011 / 1:45 am

Oooooo! I spy Chevron straws! I would love to get my hands on those! 🙂 Looks great, girl!!

Emily Hewett
    A Well Dressed Home
    awelldressedhome.com/blog

6. March 30, 2011 / 1:45 am

that target tray is awesome! and yeah, our wine rack is kinda pitiful too :((

7. March 30, 2011 / 1:53 am

We have a bar in our home with the EXACT same mirrored tray on it!! I actually bought two, and the other is in our bedroom on the nightstand. I was also shocked by the price, so cheap but great quality!! LOVE how yours looks!!

8. March 30, 2011 / 1:58 am

I've been eyeing that tray! Love your bar.

Eshebystephanie.blogspot.com

9. March 30, 2011 / 2:00 am

I love the look of the mirror as a backsplash and it's perfect for a bar area. Adds just the right amount of sparkle.

10. March 30, 2011 / 2:16 am

You have such swoon-worthy spaces! The mirrored backsplash looks fabulous, Megan. 🙂

11. March 30, 2011 / 2:31 am

I stand corrected, but I believe this kind of area would be known as a "Butlers Pantry". So now go all posh on everyone 😉

12. March 30, 2011 / 2:35 am

oooo, that looks fabulous and so glamorous!!! so perfect for a bar area! I wanted to back my kitchen glass cabinets that face the window with mirror…but I never thought to have a piece cut?!?! I was trying to mosaic mirror tiles together. Fail. That's how i ended up with fabric back there! I can handle spray adhesive! 🙂

Love your mirror tray (have it) and blue stripey straws (have those too) 🙂

13. March 30, 2011 / 2:48 am

I love bars in homes. It's so retro and lends itself for fun parties. WE need our husbands to have a margarita throwdown b/c our recipe from Mexico is FANTASTIC.

14. March 30, 2011 / 3:06 am

It looks so great Megan!! Loving all the mirrored accents!

15. March 30, 2011 / 3:42 am

I love the mirror. It really adds the right touch to the space.

16. March 30, 2011 / 3:53 am

Love the straws, tray, mirror & cabinets…they are gorgeous! And now I'm craving some yummy margaritas 😉

17. March 30, 2011 / 4:07 am

The mirror really added a nice touch in your bar area. It's beautiful and the reflection of your curved staircase is fun. Love that staircase! Pretty mirrored tray, too!

18. March 30, 2011 / 4:29 am

What an awesome space! the mirror adds so much to it. And loving the hydrangeas (:

19. March 30, 2011 / 5:21 am

Great space update! Really glamourizes the bar area. Love that mirrored tray. Ever since I first saw your wine rack..wall.. I said I would have one of those made for our bar/butler's pantry area. It looks lovely.

20. March 30, 2011 / 8:54 am

I love your wine storage!! I want to do something like this in my storage area under the stairs!

21. March 30, 2011 / 10:25 am

This looks amazing Megan! I love the mirrored backsplash and the accessories:) So pretty!

22. March 30, 2011 / 10:29 am

I love it! We tiled the backsplash under what we were originally going to use as the bar area in our kitchen, but that is now where the coffee bar is, but I love the mirrored look. Love how it reflects the staircase. And, I cannot wait to see how it looks during the holidays!! That tray is awesome. Might have to find one of those.

23. March 30, 2011 / 10:59 am

Your new backsplash looks fantastic! Your beveled mirror tray is perfect in your liquor vignette.

24. March 30, 2011 / 12:06 pm

Looks awesome! I love the idea of mirrors as a blacksplash. A tidy bar area makes me very happy.

25. March 30, 2011 / 12:40 pm

Oh my goodness that turned out gorgeous!

Paula

26. March 30, 2011 / 1:27 pm

wow! it looks fantastic!

27. March 30, 2011 / 1:34 pm

Love the update, really makes a difference!! Those little straws are cute too 🙂 Ok tell Jimmy to get ready, I'm coming over for margaritas!!

28. March 30, 2011 / 2:19 pm

I love functional spaces that are also pretty to look at! I like the addition of the mirror, and am totally digging the wine rack. As for filling it – I seem to drink the wine as fast as I buy it… 😉

29. March 30, 2011 / 2:41 pm

Love Love Love this space!!! I so wish I had something like this in our house. Thanks for the outlet tip. I had no idea it was inexpensive & easy.

30. March 30, 2011 / 2:55 pm

This looks amazing and has encouraged me to move some of my outlets too!

31. March 30, 2011 / 3:13 pm

I love your bar area. The mirrored backsplash really makes it pop.

32. March 30, 2011 / 4:20 pm

Your bar area looks awesome!! I never would have thought that a mirrored back splash would do that much to a space! Love it!

33. March 30, 2011 / 5:20 pm

I had no idea that mirrored outlet covers existed! What a great solution to an unsightly problem. The new back splash makes all your accessories look amazing!

34. March 30, 2011 / 5:56 pm

This looks gorgeous! Adds just the right amount of glam and sparkle to make that space look elegant!

35. March 30, 2011 / 6:01 pm

That is JUST what that space needed! It really dresses it up and gives a little bling to the area! By the way, no wonder you haven't filled up that wine rack, holy cow that thing is huge! lol

36. March 30, 2011 / 6:12 pm

Great idea & i love how it turned out. Karen

37. March 30, 2011 / 6:43 pm

Gorgeous space…..I will be right over, have my glass ready!! ; ))

38. March 30, 2011 / 7:27 pm

Really looks great! In my Dallas neighborhood all of our electrical runs through conduits b/c of fire code. This has scared me off getting a quote to move an outlet in my sons' room (it is bad they did built ins and just cut an outlet cover that was in the way) but perhaps I should try and maybe it won't be as big of a deal as I am thinking!

39. March 30, 2011 / 9:12 pm

Love the mirror! But what I am most thrilled to learn is that there exist mirrored outlet covers. I have a mirrored wall in my gym with two electrical outlets with white plates that bother me whenever I look at them. Thank you for the solution. 🙂

40. March 30, 2011 / 9:21 pm

Beautiful. Great idea to add some glam. I LOVE the wine storage wall. Amazing. What time should I drop in for a glass? 😉

41. March 31, 2011 / 4:23 am

It looks gorgeous! Love that idea. And that mirrored tray is fabulous! I totally need your wine storage too! Everything looks awesome!

42. March 31, 2011 / 11:20 am

Lovely! I would love to do something like this in our bar area in our house!

43. March 31, 2011 / 8:54 pm

Looks lovely! I love that mirrored tray!

xx

44. April 1, 2011 / 1:02 am

I'm dying over this project. It looks so amazing!

Our new house has an outlet in the middle of the entryway wall. Why do they do this? An electrician is the first task on my list! 🙂
    xo,
    abby

45. April 1, 2011 / 1:46 pm

I'm loving the mirrored finish. And for the wine storage, perhaps you can keep bottles from special occasions to display on part of them. Perhaps using small manila tags to have guests sign to show who you shared the bottle with.

46. April 5, 2011 / 3:59 am

Love the mirror backsplash! It really makes the bar! Very fun! Loving the straws too!