Adding Some Art

Because we moved from a dark, dreary townhouse, our current home was specifically designed to have plenty of windows to allow lots of natural light to flow into the rooms.  Also, our house, specifically downstairs, is kind of “open” without much wall space, so there isn’t a lot of room for hanging art and photos.  We do have a PERFECT wall for art, however, there is one little problem.  Somehow, our thermostat was placed practically in the middle of that wall!  image Our builder/friend stopped by tonight (he lives on our street:) and told us that the thermostat (and ceiling fan remote) can be relocated to another wall!!!!  He ordered us a new, wireless model that can be installed elsewhere as soon as it arrives (and then we can remove the current one). Even James is happy about the news:) DSC_0001 So, as soon as that happens, I can hang my new piece of “half-off-floor-sample-and-yes-I-understand-it-cannot-be-returned” art that I just got from Crate & Barrel.  I had been looking for something just like this for awhile now, and this massive 44-inch square piece is the perfect size for the wall.  (Sorry about the poor nighttime photo that just doesn’t do this piece justice).  I promise to show you the finished result ASAP!! 🙂 DSC_0007 *********

1. March 24, 2011 / 4:03 am

That is such good news. For some reason, electrical placement is typically overlooked by the contractor. I can't wait to see it!

2. March 24, 2011 / 4:27 am

We have the same issue except our wall includes a lovely security system panel. Yuck!

3. March 24, 2011 / 4:30 am

Love that piece! Can't wait to see it hung. Glad your builder is able to relocate those things!

4. March 24, 2011 / 4:37 am

We have one in the middle of a large wall as well!! I cannot believe i didn't catch that, (we were remodeling ourselves) ugh! I'm afraid to do anything with that wall, I'm soo glad your builder is near by and could relocate it! Yay! Ur little guy is sooo cute in his pjs! awe!

5. March 24, 2011 / 4:41 am

Gah. Glad it can be fixed! I can't stand naked walls.

I have the same problem on my kitchen wall. But our layout is so small on the first floor the husband {who is in the trades} said tough luck.

Sigh.

James is getting so big!

6. March 24, 2011 / 6:18 am

Oh – can't wait to see it when it is up! It looks beautiful!

7. March 24, 2011 / 10:50 am

What a way to be diligent. I run into this all the time when I am merchandising stores, and it is always right smack dab int he middle of a wall in a foyer. I just never get it,but I only wish I can do something about it like you have!!

8. March 24, 2011 / 11:21 am

I love it when good news comes along! Can't wait to see your art in place. 🙂

9. March 24, 2011 / 11:24 am

Can't wait to see it on the wall! I hate when that happens…outlets are another thing that are often misplaced!!

10. March 24, 2011 / 11:58 am

Love the artwork! We had the same problem in our old house. I like your solution.

11. March 24, 2011 / 12:53 pm

Well, that is fabulous…I'm always amazed with the placement of these things. Once moved the art will look just right in this spot! Janell

12. March 24, 2011 / 12:54 pm

I love the artwork and I LOVE filling empty walls. Good by my career ; )

13. March 24, 2011 / 1:10 pm

That is really pretty!

14. Lesley
    March 24, 2011 / 2:03 pm

I had no idea there were wireless thermostats! Off to look for one now 🙂

15. March 24, 2011 / 2:31 pm

That IS totally random with the placement. Glad you're able to easily relocate those items. 🙂 That art will look awesome there!

Our rental home was freshly renovated before we moved in, and they did a great job. Yet for some reason the thermostat is in the middle of an otherwise art-perfect wall, and there are some oddly placed outlets and switches. Oh well.

16. March 24, 2011 / 3:19 pm

I just put that print in a client's home last week…it looks gorgeous!!

Emily Hewett
    A Well Dressed Home
    awelldressedhome.com

17. March 24, 2011 / 3:38 pm

How exciting that you can move those! I bet it is going to look great (and your curtains look fabulous in the background!)

18. March 24, 2011 / 3:43 pm

I really wonder about the people that decide placement for thermostats & light switches. The light switch in our guest bedroom is BEHIND the door! Love the art. I think it's going to look awesome on that wall.

19. March 24, 2011 / 3:51 pm

That's awesome that the builder can move the thermostat. We have a similar issue here. It makes you wonder why they place things where they do. Perhaps as a joke? They think, "What would be the most inconvenient place for this?" Hmm… "How about in the middle of this big, empty wall!" Awesome! Can't wait to see your artwork hung! 🙂

20. March 24, 2011 / 4:08 pm

Yay for the builder!! We have the exact same problem with our thermostat! I'm definitely going to look into a wireless unit! Can't wait to see the art on the wall!!

21. March 24, 2011 / 4:14 pm

I really don't get builders sometimes…all of our light fixtures are hung off centered & down the street at my brother in law's house their thermostat was placed right down the center of a big wall in their living room…my mother in law says it's because they're men 🙂 I'm glad you guys can have it fixed!! I think I saw that print the other day while at C&B it's going to look good!!

22. March 24, 2011 / 4:24 pm

It really baffles me when contractors put things in the oddest places. Our circuit breaker is SMACK DAB in the middle of one of our bedroom walls. I mean, what the hell?

23. March 24, 2011 / 4:52 pm

OMG, I have the same problem!!! I asked my builder about it at our 1 year walk through and they told me it needed to be there because it was the most accurate place in the house to monitor the temperature. Just awful. I have somehow make mine work even though I may have to look into this wireless option now…….

Karen

24. March 24, 2011 / 6:17 pm

That's so great it can be changed! I liked your writings on the wall- funny! 🙂

25. March 24, 2011 / 9:49 pm

genius. We have windows everywhere downstairs and only one wall as well . . .with the thermostat!!hmm. now you have me thinking that I need to have it moved. I like it!

26. March 24, 2011 / 11:14 pm

I love that idea…will help out the aesthetic big time and allow for some beautiful artwork! 🙂

27. March 25, 2011 / 12:02 am

I like your new artwork! We just finished moving our thermostat and a few light switches that were positioned oddly as well. I don't know what they are thinking whey they insall them that way. Your art will look perfect on that wall.

28. March 25, 2011 / 1:27 am

It will look so good once you can move that thermostat. You know most builders are men who just don't think about things like art!

29. March 25, 2011 / 1:38 am

that's genius to move it!!!! I always try to 'work around it'…which never works! Cant wait to see your clean, smooth wall with great art on it!!

30. March 25, 2011 / 2:44 pm

I love the new art piece! It is right up my alley:))

31. March 25, 2011 / 3:06 pm

Ugh… I have a hole in the middle of my family room wall from the fireplace thermostat installation… I caught it before the contractor installed the thermostat, but not before he drilled the first hole. The guy argued with me about the placement, but (obviously) I won. Glad you can move yours!

32. March 27, 2011 / 5:06 am

Oh my gosh my biggest pet peeve!! I have said for years they should let women in those homes when the electricians come!