Can I just say you guys ROCK?! I posted about my mirror steal and dilemma regarding their placement and was so happy that you took the time to leave your responses and suggestions.
I think I found a nice solution:
I asked, “What would you do?”:
The answers, ranked in terms of popular vote (and a tie between 1st and 2nd) were:
1) Mirrors + Vases + Sticks. With approximately 26 votes, those commenters liked the layered look, but a few suggested moving the mirrors up a little, or shortening the sticks.
2) Mirrors + Vases – Sticks. Around 26 people wanted to see what it would look like if I kept the mirrors and vases, but removed the sticks. I brought back one vase for this experiment but I think you get the idea. p.s. this is what our living room floor looks like on a typical day:)
3) Sticks + Vases - Mirror? About 22 people were in favor of this, believing that adding the mirrors made the space look too busy.
4) Mirrors – Vases – Sticks + a chair/bench/ottoman/plant. About 21 of you recommended this. I don’t currently have anything that would fit the bill in this category permanently, but to get somewhat of a visual, I played around with what I had in the house (a plant and dining room chair).
I think the plant is too large (especially in person) perhaps a smaller one would work better, but I like the look of a chair in the right corner, maybe with a small round side table or ottoman. Also, soon there will be drapes on the left side, so that will help anchor the room.
5) Mirrors - Vases - Sticks. About 12 people liked this option. The thinking was it looked more clean and simple this way and the round mirrors complimented the straight lines in the room.
So, I think for now, I’m going with Mirrors + Chair – Vases – Sticks! :)
I really appreciate your feedback! And it’s nice to show you what our normal toy-filled living room looks like during the day. I’ve been getting some emails asking how I deal with the kids’ toys, so I plan to show you my solutions soon.