DIY {Starburst Mirror}

After seeing the starburst mirrors created by Janell {Isabella & Max} image and Stephanie {Under the Table and Dreaming} image I decided to jump on the bandwagon and make one myself.  I was going for something like this from Amazon, which was priced at $165. Mirror- Starburst Amazon $165 My homemade version was under $5.  Starburst Mirror 003 No, it’s not quite the same, but I’m living The Nester’s philosophy, “It doesn’t have to be perfect to be beautiful”!  I used an 8-inch mirrored candle plate and wooden skewers from Wal-Mart. image Spray painted the wooden skewers silver, but it was hard to get an even application, dang rolly things! mirror, fabric 001 Divided the mirror into sections with a marker. mirror, fabric 002 Busted out the hot glue gun. mirror, fabric 003 mirror, fabric 006 I used 5 skewers per section, making the middle skewer the lowest, the next two medium height, and the furthest two the tallest.  I didn’t have to trim the skewers to get them to all fit.  mirror, fabric 004  mirror, fabric 005 When I was done gluing, I covered the mirror with plastic wrap and gave it a quick spray with shiny gold spray paint because the silver was getting a little lost with my gray wall.  I used two 3M command adhesive strips to affix my mirror to the wall in our guest bedroom.  Starburst Mirror 003 Starburst Mirror 008

1. October 27, 2010 / 5:38 am

Wow! Thank you for this! I have been looking for affordable starburst mirrors for a couple of months now! You did an awesome job!

2. October 27, 2010 / 5:43 am

That looks awesome Megan! I was going to attempt one of these for my daughter, since I have 25 15" round mirrors left over from her wedding, but I cheated and found one at Homegoods. Now I have to come up with another idea for the mirrors.

3. October 27, 2010 / 10:34 am

That is an awesome idea! Especially when the 'store bought' kind are so expensive!

4. October 27, 2010 / 10:35 am

Saw something similar on the Nate show recently. They are pretty! I am thinking you could use the rub-n-buff to "paint" the skewers…gives you a little more control because you can hold onto them.

5. October 27, 2010 / 11:22 am

Brilliant and beautiful….if we were not friends…I would be so jealous. 🙂 Love it! I think the way you sectioned off the mirror was a smart move.

Cheers~
    e

6. October 27, 2010 / 11:41 am

I love them, but my husband thinks they look like something every girl in her first apartment out of college has. I am not entirely sure where he got that from, but needless to say he is not a huge fan :(. Aww well I still want to find a way to incorporate one 🙂

7. October 27, 2010 / 12:57 pm

Thanks for the shout out!! Yours looks great, love how you used less skewers and placed them more randomly! Great job!! Janell

8. October 27, 2010 / 1:39 pm

Love it! I've been perusing Home Goods for awhile to find one… but haven't found the right mirror just yet. Aren't you becoming so creative?!

9. October 27, 2010 / 1:54 pm

This looks so great!! You did an amazing job!!!

10. October 27, 2010 / 2:09 pm

I just saw one on the Nate Berkus show like that yesturday. Someone had use the same things you did. I love them and so much cheaper. Love it.
    Brooke

11. October 27, 2010 / 2:24 pm

Wow! That looks great!

12. October 27, 2010 / 3:29 pm

I love this! I actually bought a bundle of bamboo sticks last week to make this same project myself, but I just can't seem to find the right sized mirror. It's fabulous- great job!

13. October 27, 2010 / 3:45 pm

I love that philosophy, I'll have to remind myself of that throughout the day! It really came out great, can't wait to see what you come up with next.

14. October 27, 2010 / 7:40 pm

I've been seeing that all over blogland, but it's so pretty that it doesn't get old.

Like the candle plate idea…

15. October 27, 2010 / 7:40 pm

Like the candle plate idea…

16. October 27, 2010 / 8:03 pm

Girl, I am seriously impressed with your skills! That mirror looks fabulous! and I still love Sunburst Mirrors! Maybe if I get ambitious, I will try this!

17. October 27, 2010 / 10:03 pm

Nice job Miss Crafty!!!! That looks great! I may need to find a spot for one too.

18. October 28, 2010 / 2:10 am

I think it looks great! I absolutely love sunburst mirrors. I just bought one at Homegoods a few weeks ago and hubby hung it up this weekend. I am hoping to post a picture of it on the blog here soon.

Karen

19. October 28, 2010 / 2:35 am

I just found your blog and I am in love! Gorgeous home, gorgeous baby…Can't wait to follow!

20. Megan, I adore starburst mirrors and yours looks fantastic! Thansk so much for sharing and the shout out, I greatly apprecite it!

I painted my sticks after it was assembled and it was a little easier…I just taped the mirror up.

I think this looks fabulous and of course you can't beat the price of a homemade version!
    Hope you are enjoying your week! Thanks again. ~ Stephanie Lynn

21. October 29, 2010 / 2:40 am

What a fantastic and amazingly creative DIY. It really turned out fantastic!!

22. November 3, 2010 / 10:54 am

A fantastic tutorial – I linked it to my "mirror makeover" post, thanks!

23. November 3, 2010 / 5:57 pm

I love it! This is a fantastic tutorial. I'm totally making one tonight, and will link to your blog when I post it on mine. Great job!

24. November 4, 2010 / 4:41 pm

This looks great! At first I was thinking "are those wooden skewers?" and then was excited to find out they were because it doesn't look like it. You could even paint them!!

25. November 5, 2010 / 3:39 pm

Very cool! I think I might make a mini version of this and paint them silver. I think that would really make it look quite uniform! Thanks for the idea!

26. November 7, 2010 / 10:20 am

What a fun twist on the sunburst mirror! Great job. Thanks for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesday's.

27. July 31, 2013 / 4:01 pm

So fantastic – those starburst mirrors are STILL cranking and I've never seen them under $60. Your price is just a LITTLE better than that 🙂 Plus I have all those things to make it with right now! AHHHHHH!!!!

Thanks!